What's new

My Surface Book Died - Need Repair Advice

Megoapesnut

So, my one month old surface book started freezing up on me. A restart would fix the problem - until the next freeze. Today, as I was reading a file, it just shut off completely. Now, when pushing the power button, the keyboard lights up for a second, but the computer will not boot. So, I obviously need this to be repaired and hopefully replaced. The nearest Microsoft store is over an hour away. My question is, how long does it take to get repaired/replaced if I ship it to the repair center? Has anyone had an experience sending it in to be repaired?

convergent

So, my one month old surface book started freezing up on me. A restart would fix the problem - until the next freeze. Today, as I was reading a file, it just shut off completely. Now, when pushing the power button, the keyboard lights up for a second, but the computer will not boot. So, I obviously need this to be repaired and hopefully replaced. The nearest Microsoft store is over an hour away. My question is, how long does it take to get repaired/replaced if I ship it to the repair center? Has anyone had an experience sending it in to be repaired?

I would first try a reset of Windows 10 to see if the problem goes away, if you haven't already tried that.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the Microsoft Store will replace your Surface Book on the spot, since it is one month old.

OP
Megoapesnut

Megoapesnut

I believe the Microsoft Store will replace your Surface Book on the spot, since it is one month old.

Well, that was my hope. However, it didn't work out that way. I bit the bullet and made the hour + drive to the closest store. The tech checked it out, claimed he never saw anything like it before and then asked me where I had purchased (Best Buy). As I had purchased it 30 days ago, I could not get Best Buy to replace it (they are 15 days). The tech proceeded to tell me that he would replace with a refurbished unit if one was in stock. They did not have one so I figured I would leave mine there and they would ship me another. NOPE! The tech tells me that their system is down and I will have to ship my unit to Microsoft and they will replace it. So the long drive was completely wasted! I was pretty furious. I took the unit back to Best Buy to see if there was anything possible that could be done and they listened to my story, took pity on me and replaced it!! Kudos to Best Buy!! I haven't purchased there often in the past, but I will be a regular customer in the future.

convergent

Well, that was my hope. However, it didn't work out that way. I bit the bullet and made the hour + drive to the closest store. The tech checked it out, claimed he never saw anything like it before and then asked me where I had purchased (Best Buy). As I had purchased it 30 days ago, I could not get Best Buy to replace it (they are 15 days). The tech proceeded to tell me that he would replace with a refurbished unit if one was in stock. They did not have one so I figured I would leave mine there and they would ship me another. NOPE! The tech tells me that their system is down and I will have to ship my unit to Microsoft and they will replace it. So the long drive was completely wasted! I was pretty furious. I took the unit back to Best Buy to see if there was anything possible that could be done and they listened to my story, took pity on me and replaced it!! Kudos to Best Buy!! I haven't purchased there often in the past, but I will be a regular customer in the future.

The missing information in the original post was that you didn't buy it from Microsoft. I would have said to go to Best Buy as a first step. Given that it's dead, I don't think they are out anything to replace it for you. The Microsoft Store is just acting as a service location for you since you didn't buy it there. I always try to buy Microsoft and Apple stuff directly from them for this reason. Glad it worked out and you got a new machine instead of a refurb!

OP
Megoapesnut

Megoapesnut

You are correct, I did forget to mention that in the original post. My perception from the posts I have read here over the past year + was that they would replace it at the Microsoft store even if it wasn't purchased there. My bad. I didn't think for a second that Best Buy would replace it outside of their 15 day return window. Again, my bad. You are correct again, I should have tried them first.

convergent

You are correct, I did forget to mention that in the original post. My perception from the posts I have read here over the past year + was that they would replace it at the Microsoft store even if it wasn't purchased there. My bad. I didn't think for a second that Best Buy would replace it outside of their 15 day return window. Again, my bad. You are correct again, I should have tried them first.

I've had pretty good experiences with returning stuff to Best Buy, but never tried to do it outside the period. Good to know they are willing to work with you.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surely the 15 day period is for returns and nothing else. I'm not sure of the US law, but does the seller not have some responsiblitiy regarding warranty claims? Every UK chain store I've used facilitate the replacements themselves rather than just giving you contact details for the manufacturer.

convergent

Surely the 15 day period is for returns and nothing else. I'm not sure of the US law, but does the seller not have some responsiblitiy regarding warranty claims? Every UK chain store I've used facilitate the replacements themselves rather than just giving you contact details for the manufacturer.

In the US, retail organizations don't have any obligation to carry out warranty claims. They have a return period that is usually printed on the receipt and prominent on signs in the store. Many stores have restocking fees for things like a laptop. Best Buy does not, and will take back an opened computer. After that return period, you have to deal with the manufacturer. That said, I don't think it costs the retailer anything to do what they did in this case... and its great "good will" to the customer. They are going to just ship it back to Microsoft as being defective and I doubt Microsoft cares whether you had it for 2 weeks or 5 weeks.

Cimmerian

Not sure if you have already decided to go through with sending it in but if you are 100% sure it is dead the quickest way aside from in-store would be using their advanced RMA option. They will send you a Surface Book before they have you send yours in, when you receive the new one you just throw yours in the box and send it back. Quick and easy.

I have the 1tb model which is one they can't replace in-store, when I first got my book it had issues and I had to send it in, unfortunately so did the second one so I sent that one back in. All happened within 10 days if I remember correctly. Third book has worked perfectly ever since, although I wish they'd hurry up and announce a Surface Book 2 already!

Orlbuckeye

If you have another PC go to the Microsoft Support chat and they will guide you through troubleshooting. Then they will email you a Fedex mailing slip. I got mine back in about a week and it was over Thanksgiving and I received it on the Friday the day after Thanksgiving.