What's new

My Surface Book Keeps Turning On In My Bag (Even after I turn it off!)

This keeps happening over and over again. Almost always, when I just hit the power button (which is set to go into sleep mode)...

and Today (hour ago), I made sure to actually TURN IT OFF via the start menu, and it still happened!

Laptop seems "off" when I put it in my bag, then I get home, and it's burning hot and on again!

I checked an old thread of surface pro 3 & 4 users experiencing this (What's turning my Surface on in my bag? - Windows Central Forums), and it had to do with a touch mouse. This isn't my case, I don't have a "touch mouse". I have a regular mouse, but I checked it just in case, and it was OFF.

Does anybody have any idea how I can stop this once and for all? It kills battery, and that heat cannot be good.

Thanks in advance for any help

Wayne Orwig

I got to work one day last week and mine was smoking hot in the bag. I may have bumped the button. But I'm still confused as to why any high priority process is running and eating processing cycles, when the lid is closed.
Odd.

Niterider4

The hot bag issue is a well known issue with many Surface Books, especially older ones. My first SB had this problem sporadically when in sleep mode and occasionally when turned off. It seems that if the SB crashes during the shutdown process, it doesn't actually shut down and continues to burn heat and battery.

The other problem I had was my SB would often black screen coming out of sleep, requiring a two-button reboot.

I did everything that everyone recommended (scannow, dism, reset, etc.), and nothing touched either problem.

I could not live with the lack of reliability, so I exchanged my SB for a refurb, and neither problem has occurred with the replacement unit. The new unit has some issue with Word (crashing when closing documents sometimes), but the hot bag and wake from sleep issues seem to be gone.

Yeff

This keeps happening over and over again. Almost always, when I just hit the power button (which is set to go into sleep mode)...

and Today (hour ago), I made sure to actually TURN IT OFF via the start menu, and it still happened!

Laptop seems "off" when I put it in my bag, then I get home, and it's burning hot and on again!

I checked an old thread of surface pro 3 & 4 users experiencing this (What's turning my Surface on in my bag? - Windows Central Forums), and it had to do with a touch mouse. This isn't my case, I don't have a "touch mouse". I have a regular mouse, but I checked it just in case, and it was OFF.

Does anybody have any idea how I can stop this once and for all? It kills battery, and that heat cannot be good.

Thanks in advance for any help

There was a firmware update released last year that should've fixed this problem. Run Windows Update and make sure everything that's there downloads and installs. If this doesn't help get with Microsoft for repair/replacement if it's still under warranty.

Niterider4

I found that certain updates would fix the problem, temporarily, and then subsequent updates would make it worse. In the end, with all updates installed, the problem still occurred fairly regularly.

I believe that units suffering from this problem have a hardware defect and must be replaced.

Ok, well a lot to think about here. Still not sure what it is (as I haven't used my laptop bag again yet). Thanks for the responses. Will let you know if I discover anything...

EHoskinson

I have the original Surface Pro and experienced the same problem whether it was asleep or powered down via the on screen power down. I finally setup a shortcut for shutdown -s -t 0 (zero) that I use when I shutdown and have not experienced the problem since. An update may have addressed the issue but I still use my shortcut.

mine does the same thing. I really couldn't find a way to prevent my surface pro 9 to keep off in my bag & it drains the battery
I will NEVER buy microsoft surface again - just so unhappy with it. I wish I looked at these forums beforehand

Plantje

mine does the same thing. I really couldn't find a way to prevent my surface pro 9 to keep off in my bag & it drains the battery
I will NEVER buy microsoft surface again - just so unhappy with it. I wish I looked at these forums beforehand
But then again: what alternatives are available?