What's new

Solved My Surface has insomnia - sleep issues.

Sassi

So I charged my SP3 up to full, let it nearly run out and then charged it again when I got it to calibrate it. But today it went from 100% to 19% just doing nothing. I checked task manager, nothing is eating up memory or CPU, I'm not running Chrome, in fact I was running nothing all day this has happened in standby.

I looked at battery report and the battery for yesterday and says active 38 hours under battery life estimates... unlikely. The previous two actives from the days before say about 5 hours.

Something weird is going on any ideas? Here's the life estimates from the report as you can see 10-11-2014 is a bit odd

bat report.JPG

Edit: rattled thread as it appears it's not a battery issue, but an issue with the surface going into sleep.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Goldilocks says who's NOT been sleeping in my Surface.
There's a report for that...
Powercfg /Sleepstudy

OP
Sassi

Sassi

Hmm tried that it seemed to do something but I couldn't find an output for it. I did a search and just found a ptxml file that had gobbledygook in it, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm tried that it seemed to do something but I couldn't find an output for it. I did a search and just found a ptxml file that had gobbledygook in it, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.
Make a Temp directory on the C drive.
In the Admin cmd prompt... cd c:\temp
then run the command. output will be in Temp.

Liam2349

Well to properly calibrate the battery, you should charge the device fully, leave it there for about 3o minutes (still plugged in) and then discharge it fully.

In CMD as Admin, run 'powercfg /energy' to check for energy issues. For the best results, don't do anything whilst the trace is running. Try to leave open the same apps from when you had the battery issues. To open the report, you can go to system32 and move it somewhere - I drag it to the desktop. The file will be called 'energy-report.html'.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

Ok well to be honest I don't really understand the report, but it looks like its not sleeping as the connected standby times are well over 4 hours and the graph showing activity is all red line and sharp drain even when the surface is not in use but I'm not really sure what it all means or what I should do to fix it

Liam2349

Ok well to be honest I don't really understand the report, but it looks like its not sleeping as the connected standby times are well over 4 hours and the graph showing activity is all red line and sharp drain even when the surface is not in use but I'm not really sure what it all means or what I should do to fix it

Link your sleepstudy report through OneDrive. Also, the energy report will be very helpful. It's possible that some software you have installed could have messed with the timers or be preventing the Surface from sleeping correctly.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
One step at a time.
Red is bad, green is good. :)
Post the report, or tell us want you see the bad actors are.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok does this link work?
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...851&authkey=!AAEm4fTlbUInhmY&ithint=file,html

Edit hmm it just seems to show rubbish, the file reads fine on my hard drive version but online it is just all html code or something. Forgive me as I'm not brilliant with the technical side of computers lol.
No problem. I downloaded the file and it views normally. Anyway it shows the Marvell wife adapter as the main culprit.

Do you have Visual Studio installed or Hyper-V enabled?
Tweaked any of the Power Plan options?
Have Skype or other background notifications enabled?

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you open Device Manager and look at the Properties of the Marvell adapter under Network Adapters do you have a Power Management Tab?