What's new

Solved My Surface has insomnia - sleep issues.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

Hi, sorry it was late here in Australia and I had to go to bed. Hmm no I've not messed with power management except to turn screen brightness down. I don't have Visual studio so it can't be that. I'll check out the other things you mentioned and see if I can find anything thank you.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

OK, I turned off all notifications and there's no power management under the Network adapter properties tab and I checked for a new driver and there was nothing new. Overnight it has lost 70% charge so it's definitely not right :( Is it likely to be a problem with the WiFi adaptor or a software issue? I had no problems on my old machine at all, so I'm not sure what is happening, I have nothing new installed on this one, in fact I have less installed on this one as I've not finished reinstalling yet.

Last edited:

mennogreg

I've had similar problems, though not as severe. Things I've done to mitigate it are going into hibernate if I know I won't be using it for awhile (though I recall you running into problems going that route), another is I noticed when my wifi router's connection was unstable (I have an old router that sometimes stops broadcasting its signal), the SP3 would stay up trying to connect; so instead of losing 1-2% of battery per hour, I was losing around 5%. So see if you're connection with your router is stable, or you can go into airplane mode/turn off wifi when not in use.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think its just a configuration or software issue. I saw a couple vague references to enabling the Power Management tab on the adapter and making a change but nothing specific for steps. Hopefully someone will drop by with more specific knowledge.

revmike

"GreyFox7, Anyway it shows the Marvell wife adapter as the main culprit."
Marvell needs to get his wife in line:)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see a few posts about reinstalling the wireless drivers... one way to do, that is just remove it and redetect.

Right click or hold the Marvell adapter in Device Manager then select uninstall on the menu
DON'T check delete the driver...

Then right click Network and scan for changes... it will detect the adapter and reinstall the driver. If prompted use search automatically.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

You need to learn how to take a screenshot as links are not normally allowed for downloading any files.

I doubt this is a return issue. There are still a lot of variables. Try restarting your router for one thing.

One other item, there is a battery issue specific thread here. http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/post-your-sp3-power-battery-charging-issues-here.9298/

You aren't alone.

Sorry, I started with a screenshot and was going to screenshot parts of the sleepstudy but couldn't really understand it. Someone suggested linking to my OneDrive so I did, I didn't realise it wasn't allowed so sorry for that. It turns out it's not a battery issue, but a sleep issue, so I've changed the thread title accordingly

@Greyfox I'll try that with the drivers and see what happens thank you.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
"GreyFox7, Anyway it shows the Marvell wife adapter as the main culprit."
Marvell needs to get his wife in line:)
Otto Correct always thinks he knows better what I wanted to type. wife = wifi
I'm thinking I may fire Otto Correct soon.
What we really need is an intelligent Autocorrect, one that's senses context and realizes when we're tech talkin that wifi is not a spouse. :)

OP
Sassi

Sassi

OK so here's some screenshots of there latest sleepstudy report. I hope they are useful ones. As you can see no sleep at all for my poor surface. I hope this can be fixed because I'm having to charge it far too much at the moment. This is only a small part of the report but it all show the same thing with the same offenders.

standby2.JPG
Capture.JPG
offenders.JPG

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a temporary aid, try to remember to shutdown overnight or when not using it for long periods or just going into Airplane Mode should do it.