What's new

Solved My Surface has insomnia - sleep issues.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

The thing is, what could cause the WiFi adaptor to remain active 100% of the time when the pc is meant to be hibernating? I need to solve this, but I'm not sure how. I uninstalled the driver like you suggested and scanned for changes afterward, I'll see if that helps by tomorrow. If it doesn't I'm stumped. My old surface didn't have this issue, I really need to fix this :( I shouldn't have to shut down every time I'm not using my surface to prevent very fast battery drain.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing is, what could cause the WiFi adaptor to remain active 100% of the time when the pc is meant to be hibernating? I need to solve this, but I'm not sure how. I uninstalled the driver like you suggested and scanned for changes afterward, I'll see if that helps by tomorrow. If it doesn't I'm stumped. My old surface didn't have this issue, I really need to fix this :( I shouldn't have to shut down every time I'm not using my surface to prevent very fast battery drain.
Agreed, thus the use of the word temporary above.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is a way to see what the wifi adapter is set to...

Unlock WIFI power settings in control panel.
Run REGEDIT
Go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings

Select the GUID string that starts with 19cbb8fa-
This should be for WIFI and the description should indicate ....wlansvc.dll...

For this GUID and also for its child GUID 12bbebe6 -) add a REG_DWORD with the name of "Attributes" and set it to 2. If there is one there already make sure you change it into 2.

(Don't worry about this registry modification, it just makes them appear in control panel -> Power without that setting they are hidden. Doesn't change anything by itself.)

Now you have WIFI power options in Advanced Power settings in control panel.

Before making changes you can create a new power plan if you don't want to mess with your current "Balance"

In Control panel Hardware and Sound Power Options
Click - Create a Power Plan use the defaults, next, create.

Select the new plan, click Change Plan Settings, then click Change Advanced Power Settings
In the dialog box expand Wireless Adapter Settings and Power Saving Mode
What is the On Battery: value???
Click Cancel then Cancel again.

Select Balanced - to return to default plan.

Note: we didn't change a thing, just looked at the setting.

Now you can change it if you want.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at your report, you have 3 culprits, the WLAN Adapter is at the root of 2 and activity from your SSD is the other, some application you're running is causing the your Surface not to enter into Connected Standby and it is utilizing your network stack, it looks like a Win32 (Desktop) Application judging from the behavior. Possibilities include messaging client (Trillium, Skype etc.), Security Suite, Management Software and potentially Malware...

OP
Sassi

Sassi

OK
So after uninstalling the network adaptor and scanning for it again and turning off all but a few notifications, the Surface has actually hibernate the last couple of nights, yay so hopefully whatever it was has sorted itself out.

Thanks for all the help guys and here's hoping that it continues to behave.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh good, glad we didn't have to pull out the big guns for this battle. :)

Fingers crossed again.