What's new

My Surface Pro 3 - Cisco Style

onefish2

I posted this over on the Reddit Surface sub forum but thought I would post this here as well.

VV162cx.jpg

I work for Cisco as a senior Sales Engineer in the US partner org. My focus is on the UCS server products. Been at Cisco for 5 years. Always been a server, OS and virtualization guy going back many, many years in my IT career. I am a huge Apple fan. I have been using Macs since the iMac came out. A plus for being at Cisco is that abut 1/3 of the workforce use company issued Macs. I always had a Mac and I loved it. We also write a ton of Mac software like Jabber for IM and Unified Communications, WebEx and AnyConnect for VPN.

Now I work exclusively with Microsoft, Microsoft Systems Integrators and our traditional Cisco Data Center Partners. I spend a lot of time at Microsoft offices. And believe you me they gave me a ton of crap when I would take my Macbook Air out of my bag at meetings.

So I pre-order a Surface Pro 3 i5 256GB version. I have been using it since day one. I like it a lot. I have been using Windows since 3.1 and NT 3.51. I even had my MCSE on NT 4 back in the day. Been using Windows 8 for about a year and a half. The Surface hardware is awesome. Windows 8... not so much. Hoping Windows 9 is much better (fingers crossed).

Last time I walked into a Microsoft office with my new Surface, one of the managers I am friendly with said "thanks for getting with the program." They are keenly aware of what devices their partners use. They hate Macs, iPhones and iPads. Hate em.

What you are looking at is 1/2 of my desk. The left side has my work setup. The monitor is a Dell U2414h. Its connected to the dock via a Display Port to Mini Display Port adapter. I love it!! Then you see the Surface Pro 3 in the dock. I like the dock. Its a great idea. Very convenient to just be able to pull the Surface out when I leave my home office for meetings. I also have a Logitech solar keyboard and the Logitech trackpad. Both work well.

And lastly the phone is a Cisco DX650 Android based IP Video phone. Its hardwired to a Cisco 881w router for constant VPN access. The surface is connected to an Ethernet port on the phone via the dock.

I had it setup via Wireless but I had too many problems. Hardwired has been working quite nicely.

mohcho

Sweet setup. +1 that you now fit in with the Microsoft group. Do they all have Surface Pros as well?

Teknoblast, the Dell monitor has a stand that would probably reach that high.

malberttoo

NICE!! Great looking setup! Also good to see SOMEONE'S dock is working properly with their DP monitor... :D

fonzman78

I posted this over on the Reddit Surface sub forum but thought I would post this here as well.

VV162cx.jpg

I work for Cisco as a senior Sales Engineer in the US partner org. My focus is on the UCS server products. Been at Cisco for 5 years. Always been a server, OS and virtualization guy going back many, many years in my IT career. I am a huge Apple fan. I have been using Macs since the iMac came out. A plus for being at Cisco is that abut 1/3 of the workforce use company issued Macs. I always had a Mac and I loved it. We also write a ton of Mac software like Jabber for IM and Unified Communications, WebEx and AnyConnect for VPN.

Now I work exclusively with Microsoft, Microsoft Systems Integrators and our traditional Cisco Data Center Partners. I spend a lot of time at Microsoft offices. And believe you me they gave me a ton of crap when I would take my Macbook Air out of my bag at meetings.

So I pre-order a Surface Pro 3 i5 256GB version. I have been using it since day one. I like it a lot. I have been using Windows since 3.1 and NT 3.51. I even had my MCSE on NT 4 back in the day. Been using Windows 8 for about a year and a half. The Surface hardware is awesome. Windows 8... not so much. Hoping Windows 9 is much better (fingers crossed).

Last time I walked into a Microsoft office with my new Surface, one of the managers I am friendly with said "thanks for getting with the program." They are keenly aware of what devices their partners use. They hate Macs, iPhones and iPads. Hate em.

What you are looking at is 1/2 of my desk. The left side has my work setup. The monitor is a Dell U2414h. Its connected to the dock via a Display Port to Mini Display Port adapter. I love it!! Then you see the Surface Pro 3 in the dock. I like the dock. Its a great idea. Very convenient to just be able to pull the Surface out when I leave my home office for meetings. I also have a Logitech solar keyboard and the Logitech trackpad. Both work well.

And lastly the phone is a Cisco DX650 Android based IP Video phone. Its hardwired to a Cisco 881w router for constant VPN access. The surface is connected to an Ethernet port on the phone via the dock.

I had it setup via Wireless but I had too many problems. Hardwired has been working quite nicely.

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a Sr Sales Engineer. You will find that the Sp3 is a great tool for any SE. The pen will make your WebEx's come alive. Rather than doing a PPT, you can open OneNote and start drawing your customer's environment. This interaction turns a boring WebEx into a productive meeting where the customer is actively engaged.

Good selling!

OP
O

onefish2

Sweet setup. +1 that you now fit in with the Microsoft group. Do they all have Surface Pros as well?

Teknoblast, the Dell monitor has a stand that would probably reach that high.

Not all of the Microsoft sales teams have them but many of them do or they will be getting refreshed soon.

OP
O

onefish2

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a Sr Sales Engineer. You will find that the Sp3 is a great tool for any SE. The pen will make your WebEx's come alive. Rather than doing a PPT, you can open OneNote and start drawing your customer's environment. This interaction turns a boring WebEx into a productive meeting where the customer is actively engaged.

Good selling!

+1 Thanks!!