What's new

My Surface will not start, freq problem

mikecox

An hour ago my Surface went dark while copying files. It didn't go to sleep, it just quit. It will not wake up and the power button does nothing, no matter how long I hold it down, hoping to force it to shut down and reboot.

This happens all too frequently and, eventually, it comes to life again.

I'm not sure if it just goes to sleep or if it simply shuts down. If it went to sleep it should wake up when I tap the keys but it doesn't. If it shut down it should start when I press the power button, but it doesn't, until it's ready.

I imagine it might be updating so won't allow me to wake it or reboot it but usually there is a message advising that it is updating and "do not turn off".

Eventually, it comes to life again, or it has in the past, but it's been almost 2 hours since it went off and I'm beginning to worry!

I this something peculiar to the Surface computer? This has never happened with my other computers.

ScottyS

My Surface has not started this time. It's dead! Is there a way for force it to boot?

Make sure the power charger is plugged in and it's been charging a while so the issue isn't a very low charge.

First try holding power button down for at least 15 - 30 seconds (this forces a shut down in case it was stuck in a sleep mode). Then try press of power button.

If that didn't work try
Two-button shutdown (Surface Pro models and Surface Book only)
Step 1:
Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
Step 2:
Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3:
After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4:
Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Bingo! Thanks, that worked! I was sure I was going to have to ship to a MS Service center, but I was sure there must be a keyboard solution, I just couldn't figure out what it was!

ScottyS

Glad to help. Which method worked? the hold power down 30 seconds, then restart or the 2 button shut down? If the first method worked, then it was just stuck asleep and needed to be forced to shut down. The second more complicated method is to force a cold boot.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Glad to help. Which method worked? the hold power down 30 seconds, then restart or the 2 button shut down? If the first method worked, then it was just stuck asleep and needed to be forced to shut down. The second more complicated method is to force a cold boot.
It definitely needed a cold boot! I can't tell you what a relief it was to get you response. I'm a photographer and I had just loaded my current shoot onto the machine's SSD, I was freaking out and pushing a deadline!

I thought this was going to be the usual refusal to wake up thing that happens occasionally but NOT! Now I know how to deal with both situations (-:

Thanks again!

Niterider4

If your SB is still under warranty, I would strongly recommend getting a replacement. In my experience, this problem of random shutdowns is hardware related and will not go away.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

If your SB is still under warranty, I would strongly recommend getting a replacement. In my experience, this problem of random shutdowns is hardware related and will not go away.
It's no longer under warranty but this is the first time I've had a complete shutdown. The others were just my SB not waking up. I've learned that the simple way to wake it when it wants to stay sleeping is using the hold power button for 30 seconds then hitting it again. I didn't know that before. Now, hopefully, that will solve the wakeup problem, which has accrued about 3 times over several months.

Megoapesnut

Mine did that 31 days after purchase. I drove the 2 hours to the closest MS store and they said they had never seen anything like it. They tried all sorts of keyboard and power button combos with no luck. They were going to replace it but didn't have any in stock. I took it over to Best Buy, where I had purchased it, and they took pity on me and replaced it. No problems with the new unit so far