What's new

My surrace pro experience - scratches and flaking of finish

lip

Hi,

I noticed a few others with my problem...my surface pro's finish around the power adapter has started to flake off...the power adapter must be centred pretty much spot on to get it in there and for sure I've touched the metal to the metal of the surface and scratched it...I could live with that but the metal is actually flaking off...
The finish also scratches almost by looking at it...

I literally was able to scratch it by just running my nail over a bit of the back (I'm a guy with hardly any nails...)...

Anyway, I spoke to MS and they apologized and are sending me a new one...I must say that the service from MS is fantastic and I'm very pleased that I bought it from MS and not from Bestbuy or elsewhere...no questions asked...just an apology.

He said I should have it next week. He is going to call me later next week to make sure I have received it...wow....so happy.

Other than the finish and finicky power adapter I really love the surface...I'm a gadget freak but really this is the most impressed I have been with a gadget ever...

cme4oil

All I can say is I'm glad that I am not as anal as a lot of others.. I expect my SP to get scratched, dinged, etc as time goes on. I certainly don't think it is never going to get scratched or even maybe chipped.. I actually plan on using mine...

Unless you cover it immediately with a full body cover, you're going to get scratches on it.. ]

Like everyone else, I have the same problem getting the finicky power plug attached and usually have to fiddle with it. That being said, I don't have anything flaking off around the port though.

I can say that I am totally impressed with the support anyone that calls seems to be getting from Microsoft, basically replacing units for any reason. Just superb customer support on their part.

I hope your new one is better and doesn't chip on you. ;)

Get yourself a nice full body shield for it though, sounds like you will be happier that way in the long run.

GreatWindows

Lol everything tech gets scratches and dings, cover it up if you don't want it to get scratched.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

zhenya

Many of us prefer not to have to cover our nice devices with cheap plastic in order to keep them in decent shape. I accept that some wear is normal; so far it is looking like the finish that MS used on the Surface Pro is not that durable nor up to the standards of a premium device. The finish should not be chipping after a week of careful use.

magicrobots

I think this is a different issue; it's not just a scratch or a ding. I saw this on my RT as well; it's like the finish is actually flaking off for no reason, like poorly applied paint. It's either a manufacturing defect, or a poor choice in build materials.

ArnoldC

I think this is a different issue; it's not just a scratch or a ding. I saw this on my RT as well; it's like the finish is actually flaking off for no reason, like poorly applied paint. It's either a manufacturing defect, or a poor choice in build materials.

You're not alone :LOL: I posted mine in the "Oh Crap" thread.

eL777

Yeah I noticed that its not just a scratch.. Its actually metal flaking off as well and I'm by no means rough with it when I connect the power cord. I'm debating calling Microsoft again for replacement but I've already done that once due to a bad microphone and I hate to be THAT guy...

OP
L

lip

Yeah I noticed that its not just a scratch.. Its actually metal flaking off as well and I'm by no means rough with it when I connect the power cord. I'm debating calling Microsoft again for replacement but I've already done that once due to a bad microphone and I hate to be THAT guy...

You are "that guy" that spent over $1000 for a product and I think that deserves to be completely satisfied.
I'm also ok with scratches and dings over time but when you baby it for a week and have scratches all over the place, that's not what I call an acceptable finish...I could even live with that but it's the actual flaking of the metal or finish around the power port that is worrying...

I love it so much though that I've already got a full body skin on order....this is really my wifes computer (that is what she thinks...LOL) and she is not as careful as me so I know without one it will be a mess in a week

J515OP

Super Moderator
I don't think you are "that guy" if it is something abnormal. Flaking is not really a standard feature so I would say there is something wrong that warrants a return.

eL777

I don't think you are "that guy" if it is something abnormal. Flaking is not really a standard feature so I would say there is something wrong that warrants a return.

Thanks for the reassurance guys, sometimes I wonder if I am OCD lol. Either way, I ran my nail lightly against the main area where there was some flaking and boom another small chunk came off so yeah something is definitely wrong. I have already contacted Microsoft and they have agreed to send me another replacement even though I was a little hesitant. Again, Microsoft support was awesome and I give props to them for being so helpful.

-eL