What's new

My Thoughts On the Surface Pro 2

BobBrewster

Microsoft Just Doesn’t Get It!

It is a mistake to by Microsoft Product these days. Let me share my story.
Recently I made the decision to update my technology, and after lots of research came to the conclusion that the best thing for my needs was to buy a Surface Pro 2. The thought was I could buy a system that would act like a tablet (a large and heavy one, but still a tablet), laptop, and desktop computer depending on my varied needs. I thought I could use the docking station (with my wireless keyboard and large monitor) when at home to use full applications (like Office, Adobe ect.), attach type cover 2 when I needed laptop functions, and use the tablet to surf on the couch or read articles leisurely on the web. I could even use the tablet to watch movies on a plane or when working out. Sounded like a real good solution to me. Frankly I didn’t mind the fact it cost significantly more than other products as long as it could take care of all of my needs.
As an aside, I have a long history of using Microsoft products all the way back to DOS. I have invested many hours becoming an expert at PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and have lived through the many iterations of Windows. In fact I have been a long term shareholder of Microsoft and thought they may have found their way back. The Surface Pro 2 would help them use the legacy advantages they have established over a long period of time. In short I was rooting for Microsoft.
Now to my experience. I ordered a Surface Pro 2, Type Cover 2, Office 365, Docking Station, and VGA Adopter (for use when giving presentations on the road). Spent a good deal of time researching just what I needed. 8 gigs of Ram, 256 gigs on the hard drive, and a bonus of 200 gigs of storage on Microsoft’s cloud. Hell, if I got a Windows phone everything would sync without me having to do much of anything. I could access all my files wherever I was and on whatever device I was using. Finally someone gets it! It cost me almost $2000 for this outfit, but it would be worth it if it worked as advertised. I would be able to use my legacy knowledge, all my files, and it would tie me in to Microsoft for a long time to come.
Boy was I wrong! When everything was delivered I was excited about spending the time to get everything set up just right. I started moving my files to “SkyDrive”, started to configure Windows 8.1 just like I wanted and it seemed like I finally found what I was looking for. I was ok with the fact that the Windows App store was a little light on usable applications and was sure they would catch up with Apple, Google, and Amazon in the near future. First issue was that my Surface would not fit flush in to the Docking Station. The Video prong on the right side of the Docking Station would not fit into the Surface Pro 2. Thus the 5 power tines just above it would not line up and it would not be able charge. I immediately called Microsoft support and explained the issue to the technician (Kaleb with a “K”). After I spent all kinds of time defending the fact I was not an idiot and was fully capable of placing the Surface correctly in to the Docking Station, he said he wasn’t sure if it was a defective Surface, or a defective Docking Station. He told me he would set up an appointment at the closest Microsoft store and assured me he would get me up and running ASAP. He kept me on the telephone while he made an appointment for me the next day at the store at 11 am. I did tell him I had been to the store previously when researching and had not found them particularly helpful. The store was Washington Square Mall in Beaverton Oregon, right in the backyard of Microsoft. In my previous visit they told me all their products were “sold out” and that in fact the Docking Station was not even released yet. Funny thing was that when I researched the Docking Stations, they were all over the internet and I ended up purchasing one at “Best Buy” online.
Kaleb assured me I would be taken care of and not to worry because he had spoken to them on the phone and had everything set up. Gave me the case number to reference ( the whole nine yards). I showed up at the store 10 minutes early and saw the 4 reps working there standing around with only one customer there. I stood there for a few minutes before one of them finally came over to me and asked me if I needed help. I explained why I was here and told him I had an appointment at 11 as referenced by Kaleb’s call to them. The rep immediately told me there were no technicians there and I should come back at another time. I told him I had an appointment and referenced Kaleb’s call and case number. He told me I must be mistaken and that he (Kaleb) probably made the appointment at the Pioneer Square store in downtown Portland. I responded that I was sure he made it at the Washington Square store. I told him that my Surface Pro 2 did not fit in to the Docking Station. He told me that the Docking Station was not released yet and he could not help me. Funny thing is that I had the Docking Station with me. In addition the VGA Adopter only works with the Surface RT and does not work with the Surface Pro 2. He told me there was nothing he could do to help me.
Walking back through the mall I passed by the Apple Store and saw it filled with engaged customers and service reps. They all seem to be pretty happy.
I have sent my Surface Pro 2, Docking Station, Type 2 cover, Office 365 , and the VGA Adopter all back. I can’t invest any more time in a platform and company that doesn’t care about its customers. Great companies start with their “customers” and work backwards. It doesn’t matter what your strategy is, if you don’t take care of and listen to your customers, you are bound to fail. I am sure my experience is not unique.
I will be selling my shares and am sure Microsoft is going to become irrelevant in the future!

xGary

Format your friggin posts instead of writing a wall of text. Otherwise just don't write it at all.

godson594

Your lucky you got out while you can. Mine didn't start having major issues till after my return period was up...

Trust me I wish I could get all my money back lol..... It's true about the stores tho, Microsoft copied the hell out of Apple store but the service you get in store is much different...

Philtastic

Although you may have had a bad experience and nothing can invalidate that, as far as I can see, it seems that you had a mix of not doing thorough research and meeting crappy store reps. What indicates that you didn't do enough research was that you picked the wrong VGA adaptor. For someone who is apparently so familiar with computer technology, that's a pretty noob mistake to not even know what output port your device has nor to just order the adaptor associated with the product that you ordered from the website (or perhaps it was the site's mistake to pair the wrong adaptor with it? Definitely not the Microsoft Store's website). Having now seen videos of how the docking station works (the first 3 minutes of this video for example: [video=youtube;cpkAQmoyOGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpkAQmoyOGI[/video]), I'm inclined to agree that your docking station was defective or else that would make you the most incompetent person ever which I'd rather not think. The Microsoft reps should have taken better care of you or at least emailed you an appointment confirmation so that you could reference that for both your and their benefit.

Sorry that you had a bad experience. I, on the other hand, will be enjoying my ultra portable power behemoth of a tablet.

EDIT: I don't know how things are in America, but I have had nothing but great experiences with the Microsoft stores in Toronto, Canada. The Yorkdale Mall store tends to be bustling with people and the staff that I've encountered have been fairly helpful. I just exchanged my old Surface Pro 2 that I bought in December for an upgraded SP2 today purely because of the new processor and did so with no hassle. The store rep helped me reformat my old unit and did all of the paper work pretty efficiently. Every store rep was engaged with customers. Maybe we're just friendlier in Canada! :p

Last edited:

kundas1

I think the OP is an apple secret agent... lol

Agent_Apple.jpg

dutchiedave

Personally I don't think it is worth getting the dock.

I bought a display port to dvi cable to connect to my monitor for $7 delivered, and also a display port to hdmi cable for $7 delivered so I can play games on my TV, with a wireless Xbox controller.

Get a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for work in front of your monitor.

Great for work and play

TheMexicanCowboy

Sounds like you had some bad experience with the Microsoft store in your area. Based on what you've written the surface pro is what you need and wanted you never mentioned the actual device failing your needs. I'm a first year college student and use my surface for everything and its wonderful to have since everything I do on it I save to Skydrive and when I get home I can access everything from my desktop (I also have a windows phone and your right about that too it all synch beautifully if done right). I feel like your complaints are more so with the store you went to, and while it is true that a company need to start with its customers, you've also failed to see how great of a product your surface truly was, while you argue that Microsoft won't matter in the future I argue the opposite, they're trying to change and be innovative to an extent, it hasn't truly worked yet but I give them credit for trying. In fact I belive that in the future apple, that store you complimented on your post, will loose power, they're just not that innovative, I applaud them for putting high specs on their products but it seems that lately they've had to play catch up to the likes of other companies, Samsung comes first to mind. I hope whatever products you choose to find in the future you have better lick with, it truly is a shame you had to have this bad experience that turned you away from a great product like the surface family.

CrippsCorner

Seems a bit extreme to give up on the 'perfect' product so quickly and return all of it, maybe that's just the culture in America? In the UK we pretty much just shut the hell up and get on with it as long as it's literally not falling apart
smile.png

Must admit though, this bit made me laugh...

I told him that my Surface Pro 2 did not fit in to the Docking Station. He told me that the Docking Station was not released yet and he could not help me. Funny thing is that I had the Docking Station with me.

odinsravens

This story doesn't exactly make sense. You bought a dock from Best Buy and had a problem with it. You called MS and were apparently still within the return period for Best Buy (I am assuming this because you got your money back). Why not just go into Best Buy and get a replacement dock from them? This seemed like the easier route, worse comes to worse you find out that it is a problem with the Surface itself and have deal with that, but at least you know what the source is.

Second, service appointments often do not happen on time. You have can often run into similar issues with Doctors, barbers, Cellphone companies, cable/ satellite, ISPs, etc that have similar issues, even Apple stores. Sometimes their work takes more people or more time than anticipated, I don't see why you could have not waited for a free technician.

Oh well, good luck with whatever technology ends up filling the void that Microsoft has caused in your life... the grass (or Apple) is always greener on the other side.

macmee

Seems a bit extreme to give up on the 'perfect' product so quickly and return all of it, maybe that's just the culture in America? In the UK we pretty much just shut the hell up and get on with it as long as it's literally not falling apart
smile.png

Must admit though, this bit made me laugh...

From personal experience I think the Americans are sometimes over patriotic and frequently forget that they're not the only country in the world, but I don't think it's the American way to give up on a product as quickly as the OP has.