What's new

My Windows 8.1 RTM Results

TeknoBlast

So last night I downloaded Windows 8.1 RTM. I have several Windows 8 machines I wanted to upgrade and these are my results.

Device #1: Acer W3 810 - No issues what so ever. I upgraded in-place and I was able to keep all my applications and settings. Placed install files on a USB stick.

Device #2 Surface Pro - Was not able to upgrade because I wasn't getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option. Tried installing W8.1 from a USB stick and a portable HD.

Device #3 Custom built desktop - Was not able to upgrade because I wasn't getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option. Tried installing W8.1 from a USB stick and a portable HD.

Device #4 Custom built desktop - Was not able to upgrade because I wasn't getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option. Tried installing W8.1 from a USB stick and a portable HD.

Device #5 Samsung Ultrabook - Ran the update, also did not get the "keep settings, files, and apps" option, but went ahead and upgraded with the "keep files" option. Have to reinstall all applications again. Installed W8.1 from the local drive.

So has anyone else ran into the issue of not getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option and was able to resolve it?

If there's no solution, for my two desktops and Surface Pro, I might have to wait until it releases through the Windows Store. I'm fine with that, but wouldn't mind having it now.

Thanks.

Kaldek

Big fan of Windows 8.1 here, but my upgrade experience was severely ugly. I have been running the 8.1 preview since release date and there is no upgrade path to RTM.

Worse, the 8.1 preview corrupted the ability to use Refresh/Reset completely and so I was unable to revert to Windows 8 and then upgrade to 8.1 RTM. This also means that I lost my OEM Windows 8 product key because it is baked into the BIOS and running a clean install of Windows 8.1 requires a Windows 8.1 key.

Everything is installed now but I had to disable Secure Boot, build a custom bootable USB token using DISKPART (*not* the Windows 7 USB/DVD tool). I then had to force boot from USB and completely erase all the partitions on the disk so that I was able to make use of the full 128GB disk size.

I have no real complaint about the preview trashing my recovery partition, but I'm pissed that I have effectively lost my OEM license key for Windows. If it wasn't for being a TechNet member I'd be screwed.

machistmo

So last night I downloaded Windows 8.1 RTM. I have several Windows 8 machines I wanted to upgrade and these are my results.

Device #1: Acer W3 810 - No issues what so ever. I upgraded in-place and I was able to keep all my applications and settings. Placed install files on a USB stick.

Device #2 Surface Pro - Was not able to upgrade because I wasn't getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option. Tried installing W8.1 from a USB stick and a portable HD.

Device #3 Custom built desktop - Was not able to upgrade because I wasn't getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option. Tried installing W8.1 from a USB stick and a portable HD.

Device #4 Custom built desktop - Was not able to upgrade because I wasn't getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option. Tried installing W8.1 from a USB stick and a portable HD.

Device #5 Samsung Ultrabook - Ran the update, also did not get the "keep settings, files, and apps" option, but went ahead and upgraded with the "keep files" option. Have to reinstall all applications again. Installed W8.1 from the local drive.

So has anyone else ran into the issue of not getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option and was able to resolve it?

If there's no solution, for my two desktops and Surface Pro, I might have to wait until it releases through the Windows Store. I'm fine with that, but wouldn't mind having it now.

Thanks.

There is a cfg file that needs to be edited, instructions are all over the web. I would be shocked that MS didn't just make this change for the release. If 8 then upgrade if preview then upgrade in place. I mean seriously... what you want is to piss off the folks that were willing to install the preview of your fix of the huge shortcomings of your new OS.

joga

There is a cfg file that needs to be edited, instructions are all over the web. I would be shocked that MS didn't just make this change for the release. If 8 then upgrade if preview then upgrade in place. I mean seriously... what you want is to piss off the folks that were willing to install the preview of your fix of the huge shortcomings of your new OS.

How did you install it? I have several win8 serials but not one is working.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Pepper

I have effectively lost my OEM license key for Windows.
You need to retrieve your key from the BIOS. (note 1)

How did you install it? I have several win8 serials but not one is working.
Installing from the MSDN/RTM/leaked media requires an 8.1 key for the initial install such as a default key (note 2) or GVLK (note 3) key. Default keys can't be activated, and GVLK require a KMS. But that's no problem, when the install is done and you can get to the desktop, you can use slmgr -ipk to install your original OEM key or other existing Windows 8 key and then activate.

Notes:
1. Windows 8 Product Key Viewer
2. List of default keys
3. KMS Client Setup Keys

Last edited:

joga

You need to retrieve your key from the BIOS. (note 1)

Installing from the MSDN/RTM/leaked media requires an 8.1 key for the initial install such as a default key (note 2) or GVLK (note 3) key. Default keys can't be activated, and GVLK require a KMS. But that's no problem, when the install is done and you can get to the desktop, you can use slmgr -ipk to install your original OEM key or other existing Windows 8 key and then activate.

Notes:
1. Windows 8 Product Key Viewer
2. List of default keys
3. KMS Client Setup Keys

thx for your reply but it seems not to work for me. Maybe my IMG File is damaged. I will download it again and give it another try.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8