What's new

Mystery Micro USB cable for the SP2?

beq

The other day I found a Micro USB cable around the house that obviously looks like it was made for our SP2's. Same design/finish, and with the angled cut on the USB plug to match the SP2's slanted size bezel.

See the top cable in this picture:
SurfaceMicroUSBcable.png

It's great when using the SP2 to charge our phone, ThinkPad BT keyboard, etc. I want to buy more but have no clue how I got this one in the first place? If it was bundled with the SP2 or the dock or type/touch cover, I would've found more than one.

EDIT: Could it have been bundled with either the wireless adapter for typing cover, or the surface car charger? Anyone know how to buy just this cable?

OP
B

beq

Why does Microsoft create the Surfaces with sharply angled side bezels anyway? Has anyone found it hard to insert normal USB or Mini DisplayPort cables (where the flared out edge might stop the cable from inserting fully)?

daniielrp

Why does Microsoft create the Surfaces with sharply angled side bezels anyway? Has anyone found it hard to insert normal USB or Mini DisplayPort cables (where the flared out edge might stop the cable from inserting fully)?

Never found it hard with USB or MiniDP, have sometimes wondered when sticking a USB stick in but it always seems to work fine.

CrippsCorner

Never been a problem for me. They probably do it to get more people to buy the official products! Which I did... I'm a sucker for OEM.

guymalloc

It's probably the charging cable that came with the wireless type cover adapter. Looks just like the one in the pictures on EBAY.

Hstakz

The other day I found a Micro USB cable around the house that obviously looks like it was made for our SP2's. Same design/finish, and with the angled cut on the USB plug to match the SP2's slanted size bezel.

See the top cable in this picture:
View attachment 2158

It's great when using the SP2 to charge our phone, ThinkPad BT keyboard, etc. I want to buy more but have no clue how I got this one in the first place? If it was bundled with the SP2 or the dock or type/touch cover, I would've found more than one.

EDIT: Could it have been bundled with either the wireless adapter for typing cover, or the surface car charger? Anyone know how to buy just this cable?

It because of the angled kickstand. Once propped up the surface fits perfectly with it and a type cover etc.