What's new

N-trig

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyLittle

Hmm, are the tips replaceable? I'm a heavy handed writer and I don't want to keep replacing the pens.

Yes the nibs are replaceable and it has been mentioned that Microsoft will sent out a free nib due to unusual wear. But to me the nibs can't cost much and I would like to purchase 4-5 just to have on hand so if someone finds a link please post it.

OP
G

godson594

I had a chance to play around with the SP3 this past weekend at the MS Store. Did anyone else notice that when you press down on the pen with greater pressure that the screen distorts around the tip of the pen just like if you were to press your finger into an LCD display? The "halo" was about 1/4" in diameter. I have never experienced anything like this with my SP2.

It is my understanding that the N-Trig digitizer allows the layers of the screen to be much closer together than the Wacom type. I am hoping that this was a defect in the unit they had on display and not going to happen during normal use on all SP3s, because I think it would be quite distracting.

I noticed this too… Kind of sketchy

g3g3n3

I am an artist and i am experienced with different types of Wacom tablets. I bought a Surface Book (i7) this week at the new NYC MS store and I am VERY DISAPPOINTED with the way straight lines are "jittered" when i draw slowly. It is most obvious when drawing at an angle. The best way to explain it is that the line "worms" back and forth in an oscillating pattern under the pen tip. It is a kind of unwanted jitter effect that produces a wavy line. It is IMPOSSIBLE to draw a nice straight line at an angle. I can't imagine illustrators or artists accepting this kind of defect / limitation. I was looking for the perfect tool to recommend to all my students, but unfortunately it won't be the Surface / Book. I really don't want to return it...Is there some solution out there? I wouldn't even mind buying a new pen and having the battery not last as long if I could just draw a straight line! btw, it is not because i have a shaky hand...i can draw a perfectly straight line on a wacom and on paper, besides i also tried drawing with a (physical) ruler (without touching the screen). If anyone out there has a solution PLEASE HELP.

jitter.jpg

Tsurugaya

The only solution is to draw the line a little faster, at least at this moment. It is a known defect with N-Trig and supposedly Microsoft is working on a software upgrade. But no one knows when that will be available.

Migi

The only solution is to draw the line a little faster, at least at this moment. It is a known defect with N-Trig and supposedly Microsoft is working on a software upgrade. But no one knows when that will be available.

It's not just a software problem. It requires more voltage from the pen.

g3g3n3

How do you know that it is in the works? Could you provide a link to some kind of reference?
Thanks for you reply.

Tsurugaya

It is something I've read earlier, but where and when I can't remember. You might be able to find it on answers.microsoft.com, but I can't be sure that it was there that I read it.

g3g3n3

I have purchased a Surface Book recently and I can tell you, with first hand experience, that the N-Trig technology is defective. It is not good for detail work and drawing slowly because the cursor / brush will shift around under the pen when you draw lines that are not vertical or horizontal. so for example, if you want to draw a line at 45 degree angle you will not get a straight line if you draw slowly...there will be a "jitter" effect that produces a wavy line instead of a straight one. The same proble is evident anytime the pens moves at angles, for example when drawing curves, circles and ellipses. It's a real deal breaker and i'll be returning my surface, but not before i warn everyone i know in forums and also incoming students. Below is an example of what i mean, i did this in photoshop, but the same poor, defective performance can be seen in any graphics software that doesn't correct your lines with software such as what you might see in Flash or some Illustrator drawing tools.
If you draw quickly the line will be smoother, but for precise work and anywhere you need control it is unacceptable...and basically: DEFECTIVE.
jitter.jpg

GoodBytes

I have purchased a Surface Book recently and I can tell you, with first hand experience, that the N-Trig technology is defective. It is not good for detail work and drawing slowly because the cursor / brush will shift around under the pen when you draw lines that are not vertical or horizontal. so for example, if you want to draw a line at 45 degree angle you will not get a straight line if you draw slowly...there will be a "jitter" effect that produces a wavy line instead of a straight one. The same proble is evident anytime the pens moves at angles, for example when drawing curves, circles and ellipses. It's a real deal breaker and i'll be returning my surface, but not before i warn everyone i know in forums and also incoming students. Below is an example of what i mean, i did this in photoshop, but the same poor, defective performance can be seen in any graphics software that doesn't correct your lines with software such as what you might see in Flash or some Illustrator drawing tools.
If you draw quickly the line will be smoother, but for precise work and anywhere you need control it is unacceptable...and basically: DEFECTIVE.
I tried with my Surface Pro 2, which uses Wacom, and I can tell you my lines also waves, and I used a ruler. I think it is a limitation of these mobile system with digitizer on screen. Probably to save power because this technology requires the digitizer to always get power, even when not in use.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Please keep posts helpful.
Was going okay for awhile.
Name-calling against members or companies hinders the discussion and progress.

vxm

Cintiq Companion is industry grade toy, definately not productivity device. Wacom Feel devices are from my experience jittery and inacurrate near edges no matter how many points of calibration you try in config and they need recalibration depending on your work position- resting Wacom feel device on lap and then taking it to desk results in having to recalibrate for new angle from which you look on screen. No such problems with N-Trig. For very slow strokes I can't get very fine lines without stroke smoothing/tracking in software regardless of device- be it Wacom Feel tablet, N-Trig tablet or Wacom Intuos Pro M on my workstation, so this banter makes me smile. Just install Lazy Nezumi and get over it or learn to use pen tool for clean strokes. And, btw 256 points of sensitivity on SP3 worked way better for me than 1024 on Wacom enabled Thinkpad Yoga and I don't see any discomfort switching to SP3 from Workstation with 2048 points of pressure. That, plus check Noah Bradley on youtube and facebook. He chose SP3 and now SB over 2 gens of Cintiq Companion for his work and he is okay with the specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.