What's new

N-trig

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodBytes

I wonder if they disinfect them between users. Ick! May have been a kid with Jelly fingers. ;);)

I don't understand people freaking out with bacteria on touch screens, when keyboards and mouse are equally dirty, especially at schools and well any public place.
Also, at home/office, the touch screen is cleaner, as the user tend to clean the screen once and while, but keyboard/mouse.. nearly never.

MickeyLittle

I don't understand people freaking out with bacteria on touch screens, when keyboards and mouse are equally dirty, especially at schools and well any public place.
Also, at home/office, the touch screen is cleaner, as the user tend to clean the screen once and while, but keyboard/mouse.. nearly never.

With the smiley faces that was probably a sign the he wasn't freaking out! I think it does go along with my point though that with Tom, Dick, Harry, and a million other people writing with these stylus that could be a reason for a) the damaged nibs being reported and b) the inconsistent writing experience.

The demo units at the store were filthy, mostly I think from the pen. Screens looked like they were probably wiped down regularly.

xaipe

Experiance with Vaio Tap 11 (N-trig 2)

I am currently using a Vaio Tap 11 which uses N-Trig 2 pen and I think it's an impressive technology. I have used Wacom pens for a long time and was also worried about the N-Trig pen, because of a lot of negative reviews, but we should all consider that a Surface is not intended to replace a dedicated graphical tablet like Wacom's Intuos, which can easily climb up to 1000$ if you buy a large one with a couple of additional pens or mouses. The integration of the pen layer into the touch layer makes this technology the first choice for thin devices like the Surface 3 Pro and my Vaio Tap 11, and apart from the thin design, the parallax effect is almost gone with the N-Trig pen. Compared to the Wacom pens on older tablets like the Samsung XE700 series, I encounter no difference having "only" 256 pressure levels, and I hardly think anyone can except artists with very special needs and very subtle fine motor skills. Close to the edges of the screen, the N-Trig 2 is much more precise, however, at least compared to the Wacom enabled layers in some tablets (again, this is not a dedicated Intuo). I know there are some issues with the software (Photoshop supports Wacom out of the box but not N-Trig without their driver), but e.g. Manga / Clip Paint Studio works extremely well and much better for me to draw than Photoshop, as you can set up your own pressure curve to reflect your particular handwriting habits. One additional point: Wacom does not need a battery in the pen, but then the pen layer under the screen needs to produce an electric field which costs battery life of the device, so you somewhere "pay" for the feature. I don't think this is critical for a Surface Pro, but Samsung devices with S-Pen do allow to deactivate the pen functionality in order to save battery life, which makes sense for a smartphone or small phablet. The Samsung S-Pen is a different world compared to how precise the N-Trig 2 pen works on my Sony Vaio tablet. Again, if you have read reviews of the "older" N-Trig technology, do not compare it with N-Trig 2, it has certainly come off age. Let's see how it finally performs on the Surface 3 Pro, once I am able to get it my country (end of August).

OP
G

godson594

I got to check it out at the Microsoft store for a few minutes. I used One note and when holding it to write I can tell you the tip of pen and where cursor were did not match up. If I held the pen straight up and down it was dead on. So maybe it just needed to be calibrated.

Hopefully I have mine by this weekend and so I can use it more and give an accurate review.

I wanted to calibrate the pen at the store too, but the calibration function was locked down. I'm used to seeing the dot not covered by the pen tip.

Oh, one other thing I noticed as that the nibs of all the pens were already showing significant wear. Must be a softer material than the Wacom pens.

SaddleSC

I had a chance to play around with the SP3 this past weekend at the MS Store. Did anyone else notice that when you press down on the pen with greater pressure that the screen distorts around the tip of the pen just like if you were to press your finger into an LCD display? The "halo" was about 1/4" in diameter. I have never experienced anything like this with my SP2.

It is my understanding that the N-Trig digitizer allows the layers of the screen to be much closer together than the Wacom type. I am hoping that this was a defect in the unit they had on display and not going to happen during normal use on all SP3s, because I think it would be quite distracting.

Likely going to see that on all SP3s. The color fringing occurs because the liquid crystal in the LCD is being "squished" under the pressure of your pen tip. Mostly harmless unless you really go crazy, but unlikely to be limited to a few units.

Status
Not open for further replies.