What's new

n00b Metro I.E. question

KennyB123

Hey all, first post, and I can't seem to find an answer to this. With my original Surface (RT), I could choose the desktop or metro version of IE. I can't seem to run the metro version of IE with my SP3. Is it disabled? Is there any way I can run it? I rather like it for its touch-friendliness. Thanks in advance!

TunaSurface

Oh, didn't know there were two different ones. You'd think it would launch in metro automatically when launching from the start up screen.
Everyone says it's good for touch screen, I'd like to try it myself!

OP
K

KennyB123

Yes, it's great for touch screen, and still runs flash and everything. Unfortunately, running IE from the start screen still links to the desktop version. My google searching has come up empty, other than reading other people using the metro version... just not saying how.

TunaSurface

Yes, it's great for touch screen, and still runs flash and everything. Unfortunately, running IE from the start screen still links to the desktop version. My google searching has come up empty, other than reading other people using the metro version... just not saying how.

WOW I figured it out, you have to set IE as your default browser. that's it.
I'm definitely changing my default back to chrome now.

OP
K

KennyB123

Ahh, okay. I'm going to try to use I.E. as much as possible while on battery, since chrome is a major battery hog.

TunaSurface

I can't believe they're doing this. The moment you switch your default browser, it changes to the desktop version. I use my Surface as a tablet just as much as a regular pc. What am I supposed to do? Constantly switch between two default browsers?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't believe they're doing this. The moment you switch your default browser, it changes to the desktop version. I use my Surface as a tablet just as much as a regular pc. What am I supposed to do? Constantly switch between two default browsers?
Chrome and Firefox are desktop right??? maybe they figured if you changed the default you wanted to play on the desktop. IDK just a thought... RIHNFC :)