What's new

Navigation App for Surface 2

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface 2 has an accelerometer, gyroscope and magnetometer (compass), it does not include GPS.

short_USB_extension.jpgnd100S_GPS.jpg

I've been using ND-100S GPS dongle for my GPS on my Surface Pro 2 for months. When I need to track actual GPS, it works great.
Less than $30.00 from here: Amazon.com ND-100S Dongle - GPS for Surface.

An alternative is the Canmore GT-730F, with similar specs and price. Gets good reviews, but I have not tried it myself. Also less than $30.00 from here: Amazon.com Canmore GT-730F - GPS.

Both these devices work as a dongle without a USB extension cable. Older technology devices required some space between the computer and the USB dongle because of electronic interference. Though a USB extension cable is not needed, I do not like having a stiff device poking out from my Surface inviting some trouble. So a short USB extension cord comes in handy.

Canmore_GT-730F.jpg

Last edited:

benjitek

...I do not like having a stiff device poking out from my Surface inviting some trouble. So a short USB extension cord comes in handy.
Back in the day when I had a Pocket PC I had a great GPS gizmo as well, but it worked via Bluetooth -- is there nothing like that now that works with the SP2? I'd rather not use a USB one at all unless that's all that is compatible.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind that on the Surface 2, any USB GPS Dongle would need to support inbox class drivers to function as the installation of 3rd party drivers/software is not supported. I use by Nokia Lumia 1520 for navigation.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind that on the Surface 2, any USB GPS Dongle would need to support inbox class drivers to function as the installation of 3rd party drivers/software is not supported. I use by Nokia Lumia 1520 for navigation.

If I am not using my iPhone for navigation, and want to use the Surface Pro 2, I plug in the dongle, then use Google Earth. Click Tools, GPS, Realtime, and you will be tracking live, with no other software needed when using Google Earth for directions or for movement tracking.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If I am not using my iPhone for navigation, and want to use the Surface 2, I plug in the dongle, then use Google Earth. Click Tools, GPS, Realtime, and you will be tracking live, with no other software needed when using Google Earth for directions or for movement tracking.

What I'm saying is if the GPS Dongle needs to download drivers it will not work on the Surface 2, you have a Pro 2 which is x86 Windows, the Surface 2 runs on RT.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
What I'm saying is if the GPS Dongle needs to download drivers it will not work on the Surface 2, you have a Pro 2 which is x86 Windows, the Surface 2 runs on RT.

Ahhh. Yes. I edited my posts to reflect Surface Pro 2. Thanks, jnjroach.

undrwater

You could check out the Navit project. An android phone can become a Bluetooth GPS device using an app such as Blue nmea.

Also I heard Nokia's map app is coming to Windows 8 for all devices.