What's new

Need a Surface Pro recovery disk

mikeraba

I just purchased a Surface Pro on Craigslist and it works just fine. I wanted to reset it to remove every trace of the last guy that had it. It's updated to 8.1 pro by the way. When I tried to make a recovery disk/usb key, there are files missing. In fact the box to check to copy the recovery info from the computer is greyed out. He obviously removed it to save HD space. He has no copy of it at his home. So I'm asking if someone would be willing to make a copy of it for me so I can reset this computer.

I know it doesn't look proper to beg for something on your first post, but I'm desperate right now. One day it'll lock up and I won't be able to recover it. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with this problem.
Mike

mennogreg

I can make one for you from my Surface Pro and mail you a USB stick; the recovery partition will be Windows 8 though (not 8.1).

OP
M

mikeraba

I can make one for you from my Surface Pro and mail you a USB stick; the recovery partition will be Windows 8 though (not 8.1).

I'd sure appreciate it. I'll send my info to you in a PM.
By the way, how big are the files altogether? Just curious.

OP
M

mikeraba

I just wanted to let everyone know that mennogreg got the files to me quickly and they worked like a champ. I was able to make my own copy of the files and me and the Surface Pro are good to go. There are still good people in this world.

Bazzer

Nice when people pull together. But why cannot Microsoft have the downloads to make a recover USB on the internet. Its not like anyone without a Surface can use it.

guymalloc

I'm sure Microsoft is thinking of liability issues. Helping someone restore a STOLEN Surface Pro to usable out of box condition, might present a serious liability for Microsoft. Buyer beware, anyone selling electronics, especially computers, that doesn't have all the original disks, recovery media, and proof they own it, is someone to walk away from, no matter how good the deal sounds.

toeknee805

do you think you can send me a copy of the recovey disc ? i purchased my pro for cheap thinking that it would be an easy fix . the original owner by accident . deleted
a partition and now it only loads to the bios screen . since it is out of warrenty micosoft told me that i can send it in and they can replace for 375.00 or if i can get my hands on a recovery disc i can recover the OS back to default. i you can help that would be great . thanks

guymalloc

You could go to your local BB or order a Windows 8.1 restail dvd from ebay, and use it to get your Pro up and running, the drivers are easily found on the internet. It's a lot cheaper then $375 to send it in, and you have a permanent re-installation dvd that way.

Bazzer

Just buy the Windows 8.1 on DVD and load via external Drive or make a bootable USB from DVD.
You would have or borrow another computer to do this.

Bazzer

do you think you can send me a copy of the recovey disc ? i purchased my pro for cheap thinking that it would be an easy fix . the original owner by accident . deleted
a partition and now it only loads to the bios screen . since it is out of warrenty micosoft told me that i can send it in and they can replace for 375.00 or if i can get my hands on a recovery disc i can recover the OS back to default. i you can help that would be great . thanks

Why did you not at least see it boot up into logon screen before parting with money?

OP
M

mikeraba

You could go to your local BB or order a Windows 8.1 restail dvd from ebay, and use it to get your Pro up and running, the drivers are easily found on the internet. It's a lot cheaper then $375 to send it in, and you have a permanent re-installation dvd that way.

I went to Best Buy to make my own recovery USB stick. They told me to go right ahead and make one with the units on display. Right when I reached the point of the process of burning the USB stick, it asked for the administrator's password. The dudes at Best Buy had no clue what the password was. No other place in this city has one on display so I came here looking for it. If the files are available on the internet, I sure couldn't find them.