What's new

Need buying advice

gman713

I was hoping I could get some purchasing advice on this forum. I used to have a 128 GB SP2 but sold it to go back to a MacBook Air 11 due to having an iPhone and an iPad. I miss the ability to just grab the SP2 and use the touchscreen on my lap. I thought about getting the SP3 due to it being lighter and being more useful in portrait mode; however I am reading a lot of information stating that the SP3 throttles down a lot after using more intensive applications. My use case scenario is web browsing, light video editing, syncing a lot of photos, gaming (the MacBook that I use is a companion to my gaming desktop for on the go), reading books, marvel unlimited (on Safari since there's no App for the MacBook). I noticed that Best Buy has a sale for the SP2 512 GB version for $1,000 which really caught my eye because I'm always struggling for space. I currently install all my Steam games on a USB flash drive. I'm really interested in the 512 GB version but not sure if I would be making a mistake investing in tech that's over a year old now.

So my question is whether I should jump on the 512 GB version with the older SP2 or jump to the more expensive SP3 and get less ram and SSD space? Does the bestbuy deal sound like a good one?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In your case I think holding an SP3 would make up your mind almost instantly. You already know what an SP2 is and so you pretty much understand the SP3 operation/capabilities as well. Other than form factor its between 512 & 256 storage for $300. Recently manufactured SP2s have the same i5 4300U CPU as in the SP3.

Feel it and go with your heart, if you're not instantly in love with the SP3 form factor the decision is made.

You can always get a USB SSD stick such as Corsair Flash Voyager GTX USB 3.0 256GB :)

OP
G

gman713

Yeah, every time I try to play with it at Best Buy, something went wrong. The first time I lifted it up and the alarm went off so I just walked away. Yesterday there was a couple asking about the device and they wouldn't leave the area for 20 minutes so I left the store. I think I would like it a lot, considering that I can read in both portrait and landscape mode. I do use OneNote a lot, so I think that would be a plus. My only worry is that if I do play an occasional game on it, the performance would severely drop even if I set the resolution and graphics low. I have a gaming desktop, but I can't always be cooped up in the office with it! So I'm torn whether I should pay full retail (256 GB version) and just pick it up at Best Buy or try bidding or buying one off eBay. eBay has me a little concerned lately because their customer service seems poor lately after an experience I had recently with them. I would hate to make a large purchase on eBay and trust them to make it right if the seller screws me.

OP
G

gman713

I decided to go with the SP2 512 GB. I just think my use case is better suited to the SP2 considering the overall value. I have been working out a lot so I think I can handle the .2 lbs difference. I feel that I'm still getting a great HD touchscreen with a ton of SSD space and 8 GB of RAM and basically the same GPU/CPU as the SP3 without the throttling.

New2ToMe

Sounds to me like a good call to me. You may want to read my post on the missing Restore Partition and the .ISO DVD for even more disk space. :)

chanukya

I have a similar dilemma. I have a SP3 but am planning to buy another tablet for my wife, and am debating between the SP2 and SP3. The best buy deal is so good that it's very difficult to pass up, especially when you get a lot less with the Pro3 for a higher price. My only concern is with the warranty. I plan to purchase Complete Care for the Pro 2 if I end up getting it. However, given that it's not being manufactured any more, how would any hardware support be done? I have 2 microsoft stores near my house, so If I have a problem with my SP3 I can go get it replaced, but would the Sp2 have long repair times as it has to be sent back to depot?

I think the best indicator would be people who own the original surface. Given that it's not been manufactured for 2 years now, how is tech support working for those with complete care?

Zkyevolved

I have a similar dilemma. I have a SP3 but am planning to buy another tablet for my wife, and am debating between the SP2 and SP3. The best buy deal is so good that it's very difficult to pass up, especially when you get a lot less with the Pro3 for a higher price. My only concern is with the warranty. I plan to purchase Complete Care for the Pro 2 if I end up getting it. However, given that it's not being manufactured any more, how would any hardware support be done? I have 2 microsoft stores near my house, so If I have a problem with my SP3 I can go get it replaced, but would the Sp2 have long repair times as it has to be sent back to depot?

I think the best indicator would be people who own the original surface. Given that it's not been manufactured for 2 years now, how is tech support working for those with complete care?
Really? I don't think they've stopped manufacturing of the SP2. In a lot of countries it's still being sold. Regardless, they MUST keep their warranty: If you buy a device you will have 1 or 2 years (depending on where in the world you are) warranty. A company cannot sell, let's say, a phone and then 1 month later say no and stop offering warranty service. I remember reading about a big company that went out of business and it was ordered that they had to keep a certain amount of money for warranties and pieces even if the company closed (judicial ruling of course). Not to mention, the device isn't that old! Lol.