What's new

Solved Need help with USB Power settings

Surface49

I have a USB sound card:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRVQ0F8

Windows shuts it off as soon as the power settings tell the display to shut off. That is a problem when I am recording something with audacity and the source is connected to the USB sound card.

I took these steps with device manager but Windows ignores the settings:

In device manager, I found the root hub and turned off the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. I did this with another hub as well.

In the advanced power settings, there is no longer a USB option.

I also tried this registry setting which does not work:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB

Entry: DisableSelectiveSuspend

Type: DWORD

Value: 1 disables selective suspend mode

I can't find the article now, but I also tried some command line solution that does not work.

To be clear, I disabled all hibernation settings. I know with 100% certainty that the sound card stops recording when the screen shuts off as the timing matches exactly.

What can I do to get the sound card to not stop recording?

Thanks

OP
S

Surface49

It works, but there are two issues:

1 - If the Surface is on battery power, this will greatly drain the battery. Yes - I can greatly dim the screen, but I shouldn't have to.

2 - I haven't tested other USB stuff, but this probably indicates that other USB port activity will stop working when the screen shuts off and I don't want this.

I paid a lot of money for my Surface and it should work as intended.

OP
S

Surface49

This is bigger than I initially thought. It has nothing to do USB - everything shuts off when the screen shuts off. I was just listening to a sound clip with VLC and as soon as the screen shut off, it stopped playing.

I'm off to the Microsoft Store tomorrow to see what they have to say.

OP
S

Surface49

Disable Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected state. All your issues should go away

Where do I find this setting?

In advanced power settings for my plan, I have sleep and hibernate both set to "never" for both battery and plugged in.

Thanks

It's a regedit setting.
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled set to 0

From that point, you can choose to turn off screen and change sleep time settings to Never

OP
S

Surface49

It's a regedit setting.
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled set to 0

From that point, you can choose to turn off screen and change sleep time settings to Never

I made the change and my problem is solved.

I see that the registry setting added more options to the "advanced" power options for my plan (I ended up changing battery power to maximum performance) but to fix the issue, I didn't have to change anything after modifying the registry as now the Surface no longer hibernates when the screen shuts off.

I need to vent - why the **** would an update change that value to 1 or do anything else to treat the screen power feature as if it were instead a hibernation feature??

Microsoft upgrade and patch developers have very low standards and don't QA their work with enough diligence.

Thanks for all of your prompt help!

Hard.Wired

I made the change and my problem is solved.

I see that the registry setting added more options to the "advanced" power options for my plan (I ended up changing battery power to maximum performance) but to fix the issue, I didn't have to change anything after modifying the registry as now the Surface no longer hibernates when the screen shuts off.

I need to vent - why the **** would an update change that value to 1 or do anything else to treat the screen power feature as if it were instead a hibernation feature??

Microsoft upgrade and patch developers have very low standards and don't QA their work with enough diligence.

Thanks for all of your prompt help!

I am completely guessing here, but the "Connected Standby" mode is what "most" people seem to want, but not us tweakers. I agree that there should be a notification or an option about this change when you upgrade.