What's new

Need USB Help With Surface Book

dstrauss

OK - new problem child here. I'm using my Surface Book (i7/16gb/512gb) with the new dock. It keeps having problems with random fast disconnects/reconnects to the point that no USB devices work, but displayport is still rock solid. The immediate work around I tired was going to device manager to uncheck power management for every USB device. That worked, but then a few days later the problem returned, and the Generic Superspeed USB Hub was rechccked to allow power management. This is extraordinarily frustrating because: (1) there is absolutely no reason to power manage when on AC, and (2) more importantly - WHY CAN'T I DECIDE HOW I WANT TO SET UP MY OWN COMPUTER! I should be able to go into advanced options in power plan customization and fix this permanently, but Microsoft in its ultimate wisdom (or is that just ultimate power) doesn't list USB Settings, in fact, a lot of stuff is plain missing.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Seneleron

You can disable connected standby to access the whole Windows power options scheme. Create a new profile, set the settings you want, SAVE IT and re enable connected standby. This SHOULD resolve your issue.

Typically used by surface pro owners to enable high performance setting on integrated gfx.

OP
dstrauss

dstrauss

Sorry, but how do you safely and easily disable connected standby? That has looked like a complicated command line process and/or regedit.

leeshor

This doesn't sound that complicated.
  1. Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
  2. Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power.
  3. Double-click CsEnabled and set to 0, then click OK.

OP
dstrauss

dstrauss

This doesn't sound that complicated.
  1. Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
  2. Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power.
  3. Double-click CsEnabled and set to 0, then click OK.

That's not so bad - may have to give it a try tonight so I can get control of USB nightmares.

Telstar1948

dstrauss...did your SB explode...catch fire & burn your house down...vaporize and leave a hole in the space-time continuum? Or...did the registry edit actually allow you to wrest control of the USB devices from MS? :)

OP
dstrauss

dstrauss

dstrauss...did your SB explode...catch fire & burn your house down...vaporize and leave a hole in the space-time continuum? Or...did the registry edit actually allow you to wrest control of the USB devices from MS? :)

Last night was a chaotic mess, so didn't get time to try it out. I'm now struggling with a second generic problem - whenever I detach the clipboard for more than 5-10 minutes, the system crashes when it is re-attached, requiring a hard reset. If I remove and re-attach fairly quickly (as when I reverse the screen to use it in tablet mode when docked to my monitors, keyboard, and printer, it works 9 times out of 10 (yes, a couple of mornings it had the black screen even then). However, detach and go to a meeting, and when I come back 30 minutes later it invariably goes "black screen" requiring a power button shutdown (30 second hold) and restart. That make it almost useless as a note taking device. So connected standby dominance is taking a back seat to the new "black screen of death" for the Surface Book.

This is sad, because in portrait mode, I really feel like I am using a legal pad, which is awesome. The inking is better than the Surface Pro 3 (first time I've admitted that, and nearly as good as Wacom EMR). I want this one to work!