What's new

Nest thermostat

bosamar

I see Nest thermostat adds at the bottom of this forum now. What a coincidence; the wife and I were just at Lowe's this afternoon and saw their Nest display. Looks like v2 was recently released. We've had a programmable thermostat for years but this Nest is looking good. Almost laid out the cash to buy one. Anybody got one?

Sin

I have looked at them as well, but currently still have two working programmable thermostats, so I haven't yet bought one.

magicrobots

I got one a (v2) couple months back. I frigg'n LOVE it. I don't care if it barely improves on the functionality of the programmable thermostat it replaced; it is an absolutely stunning piece of design that brings me joy every time I look at it on the wall, let alone every time I use it.

I'm not fully convinced that it's going to save me much money in my situation, but I love that if I go on vacation or something I can turn it off remotely.

bertopl

I've looked at them too. they seem nice but are pricey. will probably get one before the summer hits here in Vegas again. I suppose what it could save in my AC bill would let it pay for itself pretty quickly.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I have looked at them as well, but currently still have two working programmable thermostats, so I haven't yet bought one.

This for me too. I have highly programmable ones already and can't justify the Nest no matter how cool. More money for tablets I guess ;)

Sin

This for me too. I have highly programmable ones already and can't justify the Nest no matter how cool. More money for tablets I guess ;)
There is always something I want more than a thermostat, even a very cool thermostat.:LOL: If I had the extra cash, I'd love to get a Surface Pro, or even a new cell phone. Instead today, I had to replace our dishwasher, so set back again.

OP
bosamar

bosamar

I just spent $268 and now I'm a proud owner of a Nest v2. Took me 20 minutes to install. Two screws and four wires. Setup was easy, it asked for my WiFi info first, zip code, home type, HVAC info, etc. I started an account at nest.com and set a weekly schedule. No Win8 app yet but I hope it comes soon.

Sin

Sounds good so far. Keep me posted on how it continues to work. The good and the bad, like all technology.

OP
bosamar

bosamar

Sounds good so far. Keep me posted on how it continues to work. The good and the bad, like all technology.

I really love the web interface where I can login and change my heating/cooling plan, turn it on or off, etc. Funny thing now that I think about it, I live in SoCal and the weather is getting warmer so I doubt I'll be using the heater much more and air conditioning usually isn't needed until late July or August. But as Magicrobots stated above, "it is an absolutely stunning piece of design that brings me joy every time I look at it".

bertopl

hey bosamar, how are you liking the nest so far?? I'm about ready to buy one. warm weather's already starting to hit here. my only dilemma is whether to get the new v2 or the older v1 which is still available at a slight discount. I've read and seen videos regarding the proximity sensor not waking up the v2 very reliably. are you having similar issues? v1 seems to have less complaints in this regard and I'm assuming the software updates will pretty much put the functionality on par with the newer nest.

zhenya

hey bosamar, how are you liking the nest so far?? I'm about ready to buy one. warm weather's already starting to hit here. my only dilemma is whether to get the new v2 or the older v1 which is still available at a slight discount. I've read and seen videos regarding the proximity sensor not waking up the v2 very reliably. are you having similar issues? v1 seems to have less complaints in this regard and I'm assuming the software updates will pretty much put the functionality on par with the newer nest.

I've had a v2 since last fall and while I can't compare the proximity sensitivity vs the v1, it appears to have an algorithm that determines how long it has been since it last triggered, and dials down the sensitivity when traffic is heavy. ie. if I wake up in the middle of the night and walk past it, it always turns on the first time by. On the way back, it doesn't unless I put my hand right in front of it. During the day when lots of people are walking by all the time, I may have to actually tap it to wake it.

OP
bosamar

bosamar

I've had a v2 since last fall and while I can't compare the proximity sensitivity vs the v1, it appears to have an algorithm that determines how long it has been since it last triggered, and dials down the sensitivity when traffic is heavy. ie. if I wake up in the middle of the night and walk past it, it always turns on the first time by. On the way back, it doesn't unless I put my hand right in front of it. During the day when lots of people are walking by all the time, I may have to actually tap it to wake it.
My v2 behaves the same way. I absolutely love this thing. I've had it for a week now. Last night it asked me if I want it to start monitoring traffic in the house. I said yes and now it will turn off the heat/ac if it senses nobody is home.

Last edited: