What's new

Nest thermostat

OP
bosamar

bosamar

yup, it certainly is. I'm really happy with my v1 though. so after about a week it has finished learning auto-away which is great. it's still learning the auto-schedule and time-to-temp though after about a couple of weeks, is this your experience as well bosamar? maybe it's cuz I don't really fiddle with adjusting the temp too often as it's been so beautifully mild here lately?

Have you logged on to your nest.com account and setup your initial schedule online? IMO it's best to setup a preliminary schedule online and then tweak it at the thermostat. I've only tweaked it on weekends so far. Here is my schedule:

Screenshot (34).png

bertopl

Have you logged on to your nest.com account and setup your initial schedule online? IMO it's best to setup a preliminary schedule online and then tweak it at the thermostat. I've only tweaked it on weekends so far. Here is my schedule:

View attachment 516

I haven't set up an initial schedule, thought I would just let nest figure things out. does setting the schedule online allow the nest to learn any faster?

OP
bosamar

bosamar

I haven't set up an initial schedule, thought I would just let nest figure things out. does setting the schedule online allow the nest to learn any faster?

The initial schedule is just a benchmark. The Nest never stops learning so eventually I'm expecting it to alter my online schedule. So far it hasn't but I've only tweaked the Nest twice since I've got it (I changed the heat from 62 to 68). I think it needs more input to 'see' a pattern. The weather is so mild I don't expect to go below 68 much and with summer approaching I don't expect to go above 78 much until after June.

bertopl

so how long did it take for your auto-schedule to complete the learning part? or is it still learning?

OP
bosamar

bosamar

so how long did it take for your auto-schedule to complete the learning part? or is it still learning?
I can tell you my online schedule has not deviated yet, and I'm not home enough during the week to see if the heater comes on after my settings time. I think it's still learning and I also think since the weather is so mild right now I don't expect to see any changes until summer.

OP
bosamar

bosamar

Nest just emailed me my monthly report. It said I heated my home 11 hours in March. AC this summer should be interesting.

bertopl

got mine today too!! :) unit ran for 13 hours in march. we got a sudden cold spell here so the combination heat / cool seems appropriate until summer is in full force. after reading some user comments on the nest site, many are saying that auto-schedule is supposed to be continuously "learning." still doesn't seem right to me though. I've read that others have switched to "ready." not sweating it though, nest has been keeping the crib comfortable!! :)

pallentx

Anyone know how these work with a system with two thermostats? Our house has a thermostat upstairs and one downstairs. Would I have to buy two? Can two work together on the same house? One is expensive enough. Two is the cost of a Surface Tablet ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator

Sin

Replace one of our thermostats on our first floor with a Nest v1. Good deal with them on sale and I had $30 off at Lowe's. Pretty cool so far, but still getting familiar with it. Will be interesting to keep an eye on our heating and cooling needs. Maybe if it works out really well, I'll buy a second unit for the second floor, but for now the first floor is the one that we change the temperature on frequently.