What's new

Network - Bluetooth issues Surface Pro 3

leshay

Hi
Today. My Sculpt Wireless Mouse stopped working. I then found that my network/intenet connection had stooped also. Searching around, all avenues said no network card found. After several attempts (about 6 times), shut down - wait - restart, I managed to get started again to this point.
During my attemots to restart, sometimes just got as far as 'Surface' on the screen and then stall there - once or twice managed to get into desktop where everything except for bluetooth and wireless connection.

Searching for devices just reported none found.

Despite the above reports of no network card found, looking in Device Manager where there were about 6 entries under Network Adapters and all said device working normally, however, at this time where everything seems to be OK, there are just 3 entries in the same Network Adapter listing (Bluetooth personal area network, Bluetooth RFCOMM protocol TDI and Marvel AVASTAR network controller) - none of these were in the list when the fault was present.

Any ideas, any thing I can check while in working state? Could it be a heat issue? Is a replacement Marvel Network card (which I suspect is the issue) a straightforward thing to have done - is it costly to have such a replacement done (if indeed that is the problem)? My Surface Pro 3 is about 2 years old (from memory)

Any help would be appreciated as this is my only computer and I really don't want to buy another just to get this issue fixed.

Last edited:

DForbes1967

Hi
Today. My Scuklt Wireless Mouse stopped working. I then found that my network/intenet connection had stooped also. Searching around, all avenues said no network card found. After several attempts (about 6 times), shut down - wait - restart, I managed to get started again to this point.
During my attemots to restart, sometimes just got as far as 'Surface' on the screen and then stall there - once or twice managed to get into desktop where everything except for bluetooth and wireless connection.

Searching for devices just reported none found.

Despite the above reports of no network card found, looking in Device Manager where there were about 6 entries under Network Adapters and all said device working normally, however, at this time where everything seems to be OK, there are just 3 entries in the same Network Adapter listing (Bluetooth personal area network, Bluetooth RFCOMM protocol TDI and Marvel AVASTAR network controller) - none of these were in the list when the fault was present.

Any ideas, any thing I can check while in working state? Could it be a heat issue? Is a replacement Marvel Network card (which I suspect is the issue) a straightforward thing to have done - is it costly to have such a replacement done (if indeed that is the problem)? My Surface Pro 3 is about 2 years old (from memory)

Any help woukld be appreciated as this is my only computer and I really don't want to buy another just to get this issue fixed.

Did you find a solution as I had the same happen today?

Thanks,

Dennis

OP
L

leshay

Hi
Well, convoluted answer. I eventually arranged a return/repair/replacement with Microsoft. However, I then discovered that to return my unit I needed to print out the postal label they emailed to me - I don't have a printer - so, I ordered and received a printer from Amazon.
While all that was going on, and on one of the few occasions I managed to get my Surface Pro 3 to boot/work, I received one of the Microsoft auto updates - and lo and behold, everything started working normally - and has done since then.
So, I am assuming there was a dodgy Microsoft update that first caused the issues I had, and another that fixed them.
It almost cost me £400 to return a non faulty unit because (as I think) of a Microsoft update!

So, from my point of view, to answer your question, I can only suggest you make sure you have all the updates.

Last edited:

Alexgpl

Hi,
something similar happened to me yesterday. I went to sleep with SP3 perfectly working. I started it up in the morning and:
- wifi seemed to work but no network scanning and zero wifi available
- no Bluetooth buttons and activity, unknown device on device manager
I tried to force latest driver for Bluetooth but without success, the hardware can't be recognized and driver can't be installed. Wifi driver is up to date (like all the system). Now I'm without any wireless connectivity.
Moreover I tried a system restore preserving my files. The process got blocked for hours and after roll out ALL my files were gone (and IMPOSSIBLE to restore with any recovering suite).
MOREOVER the warranty expired 1 month ago and I can't contact Microsoft without paying 29€.
I am more than annoyed.

Does anyone have suggestions beside usb wifi dongle or buying a new one? :)

Regards

DForbes1967

Hi,
something similar happened to me yesterday. I went to sleep with SP3 perfectly working. I started it up in the morning and:
- wifi seemed to work but no network scanning and zero wifi available
- no Bluetooth buttons and activity, unknown device on device manager
I tried to force latest driver for Bluetooth but without success, the hardware can't be recognized and driver can't be installed. Wifi driver is up to date (like all the system). Now I'm without any wireless connectivity.
Moreover I tried a system restore preserving my files. The process got blocked for hours and after roll out ALL my files were gone (and IMPOSSIBLE to restore with any recovering suite).
MOREOVER the warranty expired 1 month ago and I can't contact Microsoft without paying 29€.
I am more than annoyed.

Does anyone have suggestions beside usb wifi dongle or buying a new one? :)

Regards

Yep, same here. I know this is going to sound lame but if you have to be up and running with Wifi and BT than get a dongle to get you up and running until MS pushes another update. All I did was wait a few weeks and bam it just came back, no issues since. What happens is the idiots at MS push an update that wipes out the Wifi module which just so happens to also control your BT. During the next update or 2 an update will be included however the update description won't say anything about it but it will be included. I have been in this situation several times with MS and patience will win the day. I know this doesn't help you right this minute but nothing you do will fix it.

Dennis

OP
L

leshay

Hi
Yes, as DForbes says, it is likely something to do with the MS updates. How they manage to send out millions of dodgy updates is an 'e-crime'. It almost cost me £400 to buy/swap for a new unit. I was lucky in that I got a new MS Update after a few days just before I sent my unit off to MS.

OP
L

leshay

Hi
Well, in a post by Alexgpl above, a Restore may not help. Although, in my mind, a system restore to factory settings should get rid of whatever the MS update did and give you a 'normal' system again - until you get all the pending updates again - presumably including any 'dodgy' update that caused the issue in the first place..

Alexgpl

Nothing to do, also after last cumulative update (KB4013418 and KB4013429), no difference. Bluetooth is still with "Device descriptor request failed". Wifi not working. Pity, I'm getting convinced it's a hardware failure.

OP
L

leshay

Hi
My Surface Pro 3 has continued to work OK since my last post. I was very lucky in that I had gotten as far as paying MS for a repair/replacement (seems they just replace instead of repair), but luckily hadn't actually sent my unit back so applied for and got a refund of my payment. Maybe your case actually has a hardware issue?

Alexgpl

Just to be precise, I called Microsoft and they ask 450 €, like said by leshay... So they are telling me: throw it or keep it with dongle.
I don't think it's a fair behaivour, considering you can find a new SP3 for 600.
But anyway I still have to cool off.