What's new

Network Docking for Surface Pro

DSAC

Microsoft has stated that Surface RT does not have support for USB-Ethernet docking. This, however, is very important for Surface Pro in enterprise, for it to be a desktop replacement option.

Does anyone have authoritative information regarding docking options for the Pro and whether there are certified USB docking stations (that Surface Pro will have drivers for) that provide video and ethernet connectivity in addition to USB ports for mouse and keyboard?

Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Since it runs Windows 8 Pro and has a USB 3.0 port it should work with any of the current USB 2.0 or 3.0 Docking Solutions, and DisplayLink has Windows 8 drivers for their USB Video Cards and it is used in all of the solutions the Surface Pro will be supported.

Golou

having docking capabilities for the Pro will be very nice. I can see replacing some of my Wyse terms then.

OP
D

DSAC

Thank you for all of your advice. We did succeed in connecting Samsung SmartPC Pro to a DynaDock by ignoring Toshiba's driver update/install instructions and just allowing PNP to handle the connection. So we are reassured that USB-Ethernet docking will be available for the Surface Pro as well. Best regards!

starLog

having docking capabilities for the Pro will be very nice. I can see replacing some of my Wyse terms then.

Golou how can you replace a Wyse with a Pro. We use our Wyse with dual LCD monitors, and they connect to a vmware terminal server. That option is much cheaper then a Pro.