What's new

New and uninformed

fwfell

Hello,

I have an Asus vivotab surface rt 8.3. I bought it about 2 years ago . It seemed like a steal for a high quality tablet. While I did not thoroughly research the tablet, I was aware that the OS was a very compromised version of windows and that MS had pulled the plug on the OS.

I'd have to say that even though I paid next to nothing for the tablet, about $ 140, I am appalled by the lack of support from MS. On MS sites finding information and help with usage is limited and very hard to find. Thus, I arrive on this forum. Sadly, the number of RT users seems to be fading away.

I don't use my RT much. It's too hobbled by the OS and I have android tabs that are easier and contempory. So I have decided to try to use theRT as a media player. It would be connected to my stereo/home theater receiver using the microphone jack and I would like to play back music files from my personal collection, ripped from cds.

I have run into several problems in getting mp3 files from my Win 10 desktop to Win RT. The first is how to get them onto the RT. Specifically, I want to get them onto a 64 GB sd card and then to the RT. The second problem is that the files are MP3 format and it's not clear if they can play on the RT and be played from the SD card. I can, of course convert the music files to wmv format on the dektop and then move them to the sd card, insert the sd card into the RT. I would hope that RT would play WMV files, but I take nothing for granted with RT.

I hope to get some ideas about uses for the RT. It is a solid tablet, with an excellent screen, but it's so difficult to utilize and trouble shoot.

kundas1

first off the RT is about 90% full windows with obviously 10% shortfalls and there isn't that much it can't do but most shortfalls are from the ASUS and not directly from RT. For example on my Surface 2 RT I can stream movies wired/wirelessly to my TV but the ASUS you can't and there is a couple more things that my Surface 2 can do that the ASus can't but I don't remember ATM ... the RT can play a plethora of music formats including/especially mp3 format, so all you have to do is COPY/PAST them onto a mSD card and play. as for android being easier to "use" I disagree because nothing is as easy as the RT OS but you can do maybe "different" stuff apart from an android... Hope that helps you

Plantje

I have owned an Asus Vivotab RT as well. The one with cellular connection that is. I really loved it! I think it is a pity they didn't move forward with Windows RT. On the other hand: in a few months we will see more devices run full Windows 10 on ARM snapdragon 835 SOCs.

If that works out nice I am really hoping for a nice Surface 4 or perhaps Surface 5 running full Windows 10 on ARM with LTE speed mobile internet. And pleeeeease stay with a maximum of 10.8" screen for the non Pro versions!

With regards to the issues you are running into: getting MP3 files on a Windows RT device should be as easy as copying pasting. At least a lot easier than with an Android tablet.