What's new

New battery installation - Battery Report

phesojocus

Hi guys,

I sent in my Surface pro 6 to have the screen replaced to a local repair store.
While doing that, the tech replaced the battery (without asking) - he said it was expanded and necessary to replace so that the new screen fit flush.
I have no problem with him replacing the battery, the problem is, that I have just done a battery report and it shows 106 cycles and the battery capacity is 57% - what it was when I switched if off prior to taking it in.
So I'm concerned that they did not change the battery.

Is there anyway to verify other than taking their word for it and taking off the screen?
Is it normal for the battery report to just pick up right where the previous battery left off?

Kind regards,
Joseph

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Your battery has a serial number. Check that. Hopefully, you have a record of a previous battery report. Even if you don't, perhaps you could identify if your battery serial number is recent manufacture.

OP
P

phesojocus

Thanks Sharpuser,

Unfortunately, the way I generated the battery report was through Windows Power shell, and it made a html file that over-wrote the previous report...
I can't find any info searching the serial number online

These are the details:

BATTERY 1
NAMEM1009169
MANUFACTURERSMP
SERIAL NUMBER5172256848
CHEMISTRYLION
DESIGN CAPACITY45,000 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY45,050 mWh
CYCLE COUNT107

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The battery in my Surface Book 2, purchased in late 2019, has serial number 5031435936. All I can say is that your battery is much newer than mine.

A couple of things:

1- Search your OneDrive for a previous copy of a battery report from your Surface. You may have one out there.
2 - Ask the repair shop to give you your old battery. If they don't have it, ask them for its serial number, since it was part of their stock.

wpcoe

A random thought I had: Did they say they replaced the battery with a new battery, or just that they replaced the battery (leaving the option for a slightly used one)?

FWIW, here's the data for my SP6 (purchased in November 2018):

Installed batteries
Information about each currently installed battery
BATTERY 1
NAMEM1009169
MANUFACTURERSMP
SERIAL NUMBER5385993832
CHEMISTRYLION
DESIGN CAPACITY45,000 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY28,460 mWh
CYCLE COUNT261

The serial number doesn't seem to fit sequentially with yours and sharpuser's from late 2019.