What's new

New dock for SP4

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if this has been spoken of here.

Anyone heard any rumours or anything about whether we might see a new revision of the dock released alongside the SP4? Seems that the current dock has enough issues and limitations that maybe we'll see something new.

Just trying to figure out a best time to buy the current dock, or whether I should be waiting on a new one to drive prices down.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well there was a statement by CEO Nadela about preserving companies investment in Surface Accessories i.e. docking stations with the SP4 so we'll have to see how that plays out. Taken literally it would seem to imply no new docking station and the size/shape of the SP4 would be exactly the same. A bit more liberal interpretation might allow some wiggle room while still maintaining compatibility.

I think he kinda put them in a box with that statement but it probably helped business investment. I do think some wiggle room is there but I'm doubting much if any will be used.

Last edited:
OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't read it quite like that. To me that means nothing more than the sp3 accessories will be compatible with the sp4. Not that there will therfore be no new accessories. The dock has many areas that need improving, such as 2 onboard displayport sockets, tilt, ability to securely lock the surface in. Let alone how problematic it has proven for countless users trying to do things the dock was specifically designed for and having to resort to restarts and pluggin in and unplugging etc.

Just wondering is all. Same story for the keyboard. The SP3 keyboard will be compatible, but that doesn't mean that MS will not bring out an even better type cover with more features, better trackpad, key feel, etc.

leeshor

I think the entire discussion is supposition and way premature since the SP4 hasn't even been officially announced.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was only asking if there were any rumours given some of this forums users seem to be a bit more connected than I am, and I don't have all the time in the world to search things. Better use for my limited time off (chef, every minute counts).

malberttoo

Yes I believe I also saw somewhere where Panos said they were promising compatibility with next few generations of accessories. So we can probably suppose with some amount of certainty that even if we get new dock, the ports on it and the SP4 will line up to the same locations as the SP3.

But for now, I'd just be happy if they'd fix the incredible QC issues with the SP3 dock! :eek:

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
But for now, I'd just be happy if they'd fix the incredible QC issues with the SP3 dock! :eek:

One of the reasons I'm wondering about an upgraded model.

And the input ports could be the same, but maybe there are improvements to the output ports. Maybe the sp4 would be capable of 2 fiaplay outputs through the dock. That wouldn't stop the sp4 being compatible with the current dlock. Supposition again, sorry.

Who knows

kwright

I would be glad to buy or trade in both of my docks for new ones of they would support more than one display and tilt.

I don't see how to make the current hardware compatible with the new Surface unless there is an adapter (expect a USB charge port).

I don't think there has been a huge uptake of the dock and therefore little to lose.

They have much to gain with three new OS and a Surface with onboard cellular. As a result I would bet they have a trade in offer instead of a compatible dock.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Dock has been a huge seller in the enterprise, from what I can tell in the big deployments almost a 1 to 1 ratio....