What's new

New Docking Station with Dual Monitors

pcman12

Hi, I need help with getting new docking station with dual display ports to output to external monitors. I have called Microsoft and got a replacement but its not working. My setup: Surface Pro 4, New docking station with dual monitors output, mini display cable to DVI (3') and DVI extension cable. When I plug any of adapters directly to Surface Pro 4, i get second screen, when i plug 1 or 2 adapters into docking station, i get nothing. Surface does detect monitors with correct resolution but no output. I have tried different monitors, i got to work 1 but with weird resolution, windows 10 reports correct for monitor but display is completely wrong. Has anyone experience similar issues? do you think there is an adapter issue even when it works fine directly from Surface? Any feedback is appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Is it possible for you to try it with a mini DP to DVI cable? Eliminate the adapter.

OP
P

pcman12

Welcome to the forum

Is it possible for you to try it with a mini DP to DVI cable? Eliminate the adapter.
It is a cable, its 3 ft long, that why i am using DVI extension cable. The same setup works great directly connected to surface so i dont think that this is an adapter/cable issue.
Thank you.

leeshor

That isn't what it sounded like in your first post. Can you eliminate the extension cable long enough to see if that works. Something sounds fishy. It should work.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You haven't told us the resolution of the monitors you are attempting to connect to, I'm driving a 4k and a 1440p in addition to the screen of my SP4 off the new docking station.

Have you applied all of the updates? Including the Firmware Update for the dock? If yes, then everything points to the cables.

OP
P

pcman12

Monitors are 19". No room for bigger monitors. All updates are applied, i dont see any firmware for dock. Last firmware i see for SP4 is in december, was applied. Latest Win10 installed. Monitors do work fine if I am connected directly to SP4 with mini DP to DVI. Why would it be any different with dock. Any recommendation for cables if they are at fault? Thank you.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Monitors are 19". No room for bigger monitors. All updates are applied, i dont see any firmware for dock. Last firmware i see for SP4 is in december, was applied. Latest Win10 installed. Monitors do work fine if I am connected directly to SP4 with mini DP to DVI. Why would it be any different with dock. Any recommendation for cables if they are at fault? Thank you.
Firmware for the dock will be applied if you are docked while applying the update. 19" doesn't tell me resolution, but I will assume 1080p or less. When you plug directly into the SP4 are you using the Extensions? What happens if you plug one into the SP4 and one into the dock?

OP
P

pcman12

Resolution is less then 1080p, i think 900. I have tried with extensions directly to SP4 and all work. I have tried one to SP4 and one to dock. Monitor from SP4 will work, but not the one from dock. i know it weird and it should work but does not from dock. i will try other monitors probably today or tomorrow but most of my monitors can do max of 1080p and i dont have any ones with DP input, most of them DVI. thank you for your help on this matter.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Resolution is less then 1080p, i think 900. I have tried with extensions directly to SP4 and all work. I have tried one to SP4 and one to dock. Monitor from SP4 will work, but not the one from dock. i know it weird and it should work but does not from dock. i will try other monitors probably today or tomorrow but most of my monitors can do max of 1080p and i dont have any ones with DP input, most of them DVI. thank you for your help on this matter.
The Dock includes a MST Hub, my only guess is too much signal drop going from SP4 to Dock to MST Hub to Cable to Extension. Try to get longer cables that doesn't require the extensions.

OP
P

pcman12

Hi, Status Update. Got new adapters, they are Active MiniDP to DVI and everything works. Previous ones were Passive. Questions, do you know when I can buy spare AC adapter for Microsoft Dock, current one saying Microsoft Part 1749. Thank you.