What's new

New firmware = bad upload speed

mikedg

I noticed that my upload speeds have been terrible and it seems to conincide with the latest firmware updates.

Been trying speedtest.net and I'm seeing 25 to 50 Mbps down depending on where I am, and the upload speed is like < 0.02 Mbps

Checking the networking tab in the resource monitor doesn't show anything eating up my bandwidth
I've tried multiple routers, internet providers, tried docked, undocked, externally powered, unpowered, with keyboard, without keyboad, with extra monitor, without extra monitor, bluetooth on, bluetooth off. Tried moving around. Nothing seems to affect the upload speed in any meaningful way.

Tried different computers and those get expected upload speeds.

Has anyone else seen this? Think it's just a conincidence? Any tips?

tech57

My SP2 just clocked 5.5 down and 0.39 up on a public wifi connection.
There might be something to the op's discovery

GoodBytes

I did a speedtest.net run, and my speed are fine. 20.84Mbps download (which is what I have as service from my ISP), and 10.57mbps upload speed.
Latest firmware installed.

vortech

Yup.....it looks like I am in the same boat. Sloooooow.....and my Surface has never given me any grief until now.

What to do?

GoodBytes

Seems like my download speed has been affected too. Has everyone's intel control panel disappeared as well?

Yea, they removed it. Also, you have reduction in brightness level possibilities, You can still get min an max just fine, but you loose fine tuning.
Also, colors are adjusted at a software level by the Intel drivers, leading a reduction in colors. Look at a gradient, it won't be smooth, you'll see steps.
The good news is that all this can be fixed by getting the latest drivers from Intel web site. The Intel drivers used by Microsoft, are broken. I recall fallen on them, when testing on something. Intel released a fixed updates, but I guess Microsoft didn't get the right version. So, I guess next month :/

BakedZnake

Yea, they removed it. Also, you have reduction in brightness level possibilities, You can still get min an max just fine, but you loose fine tuning.
Also, colors are adjusted at a software level by the Intel drivers, leading a reduction in colors. Look at a gradient, it won't be smooth, you'll see steps.
The good news is that all this can be fixed by getting the latest drivers from Intel web site. The Intel drivers used by Microsoft, are broken. I recall fallen on them, when testing on something. Intel released a fixed updates, but I guess Microsoft didn't get the right version. So, I guess next month :/

Thanks for the info, mate. I've been trying microsoft new firmware updates every time, and every time it comes back broken so annoying. Personally I find the intel drivers 1338 version to be most stable but produces the most heat. Might give the new intel drivers a go. Thanks again

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't impact my Uploads Speeds still getting 9-11 Mbps (I pay for 8)....still same download and no issues with Video.

Dayton

No issues other than the crap video driver, rolled back to March's 3431. Intel's latest worked fine but I prefer the colors with the MS version, except for June's of course.

jollywombat

No issues here with upload capacity. Getting 56/6.2 on my 50/5 connection.

My SP2 just clocked 5.5 down and 0.39 up on a public wifi connection.
There might be something to the op's discovery

Regarding this comment, we do not know the isp speed for that public wifi, but 5 down /0.5 up is a pretty standard speed for low tier ISP packages, the upload/download is never equal unless on special packages or dedicated circuits, so the result you got seems appropriate without further information.

jrapdx

Didn't impact my Uploads Speeds still getting 9-11 Mbps (I pay for 8)....still same download and no issues with Video.

The firmware offer was received just today. However, it's kind of confusing. Some report problems with WiFi or with video drivers/performance after firmware installation, but other SP2 owners report no issues of the sort.

What accounts for the differences? At least at a hardware/firmware level, aren't we talking about the same SP2 device? I understand that WiFi is a slippery target, but the video should be a lot more consistent. At least in the case where only MS updates have been used, I don't understand the quite opposite results that are described in this thread.

Can anyone enlighten me?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The firmware offer was received just today. However, it's kind of confusing. Some report problems with WiFi or with video drivers/performance after firmware installation, but other SP2 owners report no issues of the sort.

What accounts for the differences? At least at a hardware/firmware level, aren't we talking about the same SP2 device? I understand that WiFi is a slippery target, but the video should be a lot more consistent. At least in the case where only MS updates have been used, I don't understand the quite opposite results that are described in this thread.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Video is still a moving target, due to Virtual Video Cards (DisplayLink, Hypervisors, etc.) Also some Win32 code can impact Video Drivers/Performance....