What's new

New firmware January 14th?

irrationaljay

Looks like our troubles may soon be over. Seems as though Microsoft is going to release the next update for patch Tuesday on the 14th.

The following is from Winbeta.org

"Just got off a call with Surface support team and they confirmed that the new firmware will be released January 14th. Interesting the support team have been told by Microsoft that the botched December firmware only affected 3 in 1000 devices, needless to say I nearly fell off my chair when they said that!" one Surface Pro 2 owner stated in an official Microsoft support forum.

"We've reached out to Microsoft for a statement and for confirmation on the rollout date, however their response was vague. "Our customers' experiences are very important to us and we are working hard to release an alternative update package as soon as possible," a Microsoft spokesperson told WinBeta."

I'm pretty excited, I'm on my second SP2 which also received the December update (luckily I haven't had any major issues) so I'm looking forward to see how this improves the device.

Follow the link for the full article.

Microsoft to re-release Dec 2013 Surface Pro 2 firmware update on Jan 14th? | WinBeta

DragonGamer

Odd, just right now I got an update/downgrade to an Hardware update from october. Worked sucessfully.. let's see whether that solved any issues, lol

mennogreg

No problem, guys. Take as long as you need. Its not as if this firmware isn't tarnishing your product line or making your customers unhappy.

FFX

Where has Microsoft stated 3 in 1000 devices? I still havnt seen a source for this claim.

eelpout

I still need to exchange my SP2, now that I'm convinced my video issues are hardware related (happens on Ubuntu too). I'm wondering if I should wait until Patch Tuesday (the 14th) to see if the new firmware fixes it. Which gives me a single day of cushion for the Best Buy holiday return policy of 1/15. :p

Zkyevolved

I only had 1 night of battery drain. Everything else since then has worked perfectly. I can confirm I had the Dec. update, and everything is working fine with no drainage and no wakes either. So while it may be more than 3 in 1000, I've seen a lot of people WITHOUT the issue. So it's not effecting everyone. And also, imagine, most people don't go on the forums to express how their device that day still continued to work perfectly. Most people on forums go for something specific or to vent. So... Yeah...

MickeyLittle

I only had 1 night of battery drain. Everything else since then has worked perfectly. I can confirm I had the Dec. update, and everything is working fine with no drainage and no wakes either. So while it may be more than 3 in 1000, I've seen a lot of people WITHOUT the issue. So it's not effecting everyone. And also, imagine, most people don't go on the forums to express how their device that day still continued to work perfectly. Most people on forums go for something specific or to vent. So... Yeah...

Well you don't pull a firmware update for 3 out of 1000. That's not even 1/3 of 1%. Wow, now that would be some good numbers!

DragonGamer

Well you don't pull a firmware update for 3 out of 1000. That's not even 1/3 of 1%. Wow, now that would be some good numbers!

Umh, why not?
3 of 1000 is still quite a lot if you sell hundred thousands devices and nobody is really hurt by the pulling. It just prevents more unhappy customers since I doubt that anyone would complain that they just didn't get the update (especially not sicne it was clear an improved version would come later again). The update didn't change thaaat much anyways. It'd be more significant if it were the long avaited wacom-update, improving the calibration functions.

But yes, you are right. I'd really like to know how many Surface Pro 2s are out there in total...