What's new

New Firmware Updates (6/21)

elbaz

I just installed three firmware updates today:
SB_Firmware_Updates.png
Everything seems to be okay so far. The only issues I was having was while the system was in sleep mode. The monitors would wake up periodically and eventually the system would shut itself off.

OP
elbaz

elbaz

Not that one night makes for a test, my SB awoke normally this morning and I did not notice my monitors periodically waking up during the night. Since this is my primary machine I've reframed from installing insider builds.

KA309

You both mention sleep mode, and I'm still having the issue where my SB won't wake after sleeping for any extended period of time. Has the update cured this for anyone? Or, does someone have a fix or workaround for the issue? I set my SB to never sleep, which obviously is not optimal for battery life.

rubaxter

Had no issues before the 'fix', but now can't keep things running 'cause MS managed to screw up the Attached/Detach process and I am continually getting "You're Attached/Detached" messages, with nothing working unless I detach the base. That means, I can't use unit, AGAIN, except if I'm gonna treat it as a VERY expensive, VERY shot lived tablet!

Started out Friday using the SB as a laptop most of the day. then made the end-of-day mistake of looking for updates before shutting down. Made the mistake of looking for MS updates while finishing up the AV database updates. Since the, quite literally, nothing else has changed except for the 'fix'; the unit has been powered down, sitting on a shelf, charging, since then.

Guess I'll have to wait for the umpteenth 'fix' for the fix of the last 'fix' to fix the penultimate fix, to fix...

Sunday Update: Only way to make things work reliably is to ONCE AGAIN do a hard boot and Exit to normal startup.

Thanks for the help, MS, I'm back in the same situation I was before, although it's not just the power options that make me have to hard reset, this go around...

Monday Update: Just spent 15 minutes with various forms of bricking and hard starting.

Guess I take the 2 year old HP on vacation seeing as I'vv had my new SB 'fixed' by the elves at MS, AGAIN. Or, maybe the Surface Pro... THREE to be safe?

Last edited:

mtmowl

The most annoying glitch that I still encounter involves keyboard freeze ups, in which the track pad and keys no longer act upon the screen. The workaround for this is to detach and reattach the tablet, but that's an annoying (and sometimes embarrassing) interruption. I wonder if the need for detachment indicates some common factor? I have inspected and cleaned the contacts within the hinge, BTW.

I also get random occurrences of File Explorer on screen, the same as I do whenever I reattach the tablet.This makes me suspect some kind wobble/connection issue within the hinge.

Are these firmware or hardware related?

Thanks.

Bandito

mtmoowl, my guess would be that it is likely some sort of mechanical issue with the connector, but if the only way to get it to work again is by removing the Clipboard and reattaching it, it could well be something else.

When the keyboard quits, do the keys still light up or do they remain dark? If you wait 30-60 seconds will the keyboard start to work again? Do you hear any of the disconnect/reconnect sounds as if you've unplugged a device from the system? What about timing? Do the disconnects occur randomly or at some set interval? All of these questions could point us in a useful direction for troubleshooting.

Also, are you somewhere that you could take it to a store and attach it to a different keyboard base to see if that made any difference? I'd even try a different Clipboard on your keyboard base.

I know, it should not be necessary to go through all of this pain to figure out what's going on, but MS surely isn't going to do it for you. If you've had enough of it and don't want to have to troubleshoot it yourself, I'd recommend exchanging it for a replacement if that's possible for you.

rubaxter

The most annoying glitch that I still encounter involves keyboard freeze ups, in which the track pad and keys no longer act upon the screen. The workaround for this is to detach and reattach the tablet, but that's an annoying (and sometimes embarrassing) interruption. I wonder if the need for detachment indicates some common factor? I have inspected and cleaned the contacts within the hinge, BTW.

I also get random occurrences of File Explorer on screen, the same as I do whenever I reattach the tablet.This makes me suspect some kind wobble/connection issue within the hinge.

Are these firmware or hardware related?

Thanks.

Same symptoms I've been experiencing since the 'fix'.

Now, I'm seeing nVidia GPU driver failures, too, which would be tied to the base, unless I'm very much mistaken.

I've cleaned contacts, had coincidental 'it works' followed on the re-boot by the same issues as before. Blew out everything with an airbrush just to be sure, and still no solution,.

TimberWolf

Tried to adjust NVidia as soon as I saw the error/reset message, BUT now I can't even access the NVidia control panel from Control Panels. It's there, but won't come up when called.

Go into Device Manager and see if your nvidia graphics chip is detected. Sometimes, after I re-attach the screen to the base, it fails to detect the nvidia card and only shows the intel GPU. Detaching and re-attaching the screen usually "fixes" this, as does rebooting.

rubaxter

Go into Device Manager and see if your nvidia graphics chip is detected. Sometimes, after I re-attach the screen to the base, it fails to detect the nvidia card and only shows the intel GPU. Detaching and re-attaching the screen usually "fixes" this, as does rebooting.

Double thanks for all the replies.

Happened a couple days ago, too, and tried the reattach path after originally disabling the universal use. Things are working, for now, but I guess I'll have to keep checking, like this was an oil burning used car.