What's new

New here - and have a Office 2013 issue.

revelated

I work in IT so I'm not numb to it, but this is straight bizarre.

I have a 64GB Surface Pro that I bought to evaluate personally. In my world, I would not use a tablet to run VMs or do anything heavy; my laptop or my iMac would serve those functions just fine. But I wanted something I could install any basic app or video program on. I can always do a microSD card, the internal drive is well enough for programs if I relocate the backup package.

Anyway, I take advantage of Microsoft's Home Use Program which gets you Office Professional Plus 2013 installable on two devices for $10 - a steal. I installed it just fine, or at least thought so, but none of the apps except Lync will actually run. OneNote, Excel, Word...none of them run. Yet, on my laptop running 8 Pro, the same Professional Plus works perfectly fine.

Now, I'm thinking something got botched somewhere, because I can't do the repair nor the uninstaller. It just sits at Step 2 endlessly and never does anything.

The stub installer that's on the machine when you first load it up where you can try 365 or enter a key - I did that first, it didn't seem to do anything. So then I downloaded the actual installer and ran that to install it. Methinks somewhere in there something got jacked up.

Any ideas? My next step is to try and restore to before I did the install and run it through.

Chung

So, when you went to digital river to grab your d/l, you may notice that it's a web installer. if you run the installer on an older computer, it will stream and install office 2013... I found out this the hard way because I tried to stop the damn thing but it kept going.

On the Surface Pro though, there is a "trial" version of office 2013 installed already that if you run the digital river web installer, it simply convert the "trial" version into a fully version. So if nothing runs, it's probably because the key is invalid because of installs/reinstalls. just call MS for support on your license key

polbit

I have the same setup - 64Gb Pro, and Office 2013 through HUP for $10, and it works perfect, not one glitch during install or use. I would definitely call MS Support.

OP
R

revelated

So I'm doing the full restore which is rumored to be a reinstall, and I'll see if that makes a positive difference. If not I'll just return it for now.

EDIT: so the full restore seems to have worked and all Office apps appear to be functioning as expected. Thanks.

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

I understand the Surface Pro comes with Office 2013 Trial version ... is that correct?
I have Office 365 on my desktop ( this machine ) so what do I do when my Pro arrives ( tomorrow )?
I want to have Office 365 on the Pro as well as my desktop.

bosamar

I understand the Surface Pro comes with Office 2013 Trial version ... is that correct?
I have Office 365 on my desktop ( this machine ) so what do I do when my Pro arrives ( tomorrow )?
I want to have Office 365 on the Pro as well as my desktop.

You can have Office 365 Home Premium on 5 PCs. To install on PCs 2 thru 5 just sign in to office.microsoft.com and you will see the download/Install option right there.

Arizona Willie

Thanks for the response, bosamar. Question is though, should I remove the Office 2013 trial via the Control Panel before installing Office 365, or just let it install on top of the current installation?

bosamar

Thanks for the response, bosamar. Question is though, should I remove the Office 2013 trial via the Control Panel before installing Office 365, or just let it install on top of the current installation?

I'd leave it until after 365 goes on. It might share some stuff.

Kiwibru

I had to uninstall the trial version on my Pro before I could get the d/l app to actually bring down the Office app. The MS web system actually prompted this. Once I did this and re-ran the install it was fine.

Cowboy

That click-to-run stuff can be a nightmare. If you are going to install any regular Office products the first thing you should do is uninstall click-to-run!!!