What's new

New iphone owner - how do you integrate with the Surface Pro 3

ctitanic

After more than a year using a Nokia Lumin 810 I decided to by an iPhone. The reason simple, neither T-Mobile or Microsoft is releasing the WP8.1 for my phone. So it's time to move to a company that at least release updates more consistently.

My question is, any tips or advices.

Things that I use a lot.
1- Pictures on my phone sync with Onedrive automatically.
2. Office Lens to Scan and save to OneNote. Any equivalents for iPhone?
3- I use my phone as AP for my SP3. Can I do that in in iPhone 6?

Intent of thread - "I wanted to know how SP3 owner integrates their iPhone to Microsoft ecosystem specially SP3 owners."

Last edited by a moderator:

Cambo

Probably a bit late now but if you could get the Lumia 1020 then you would have the best camera on a phone and it syncs beautifully with the surface.it also runs the latest windows 8.1

cesard09

I use the onedrive app on my iphone. i disable icloud syncing for pics. You can set onedrive to auto backup photos. Iphone does have hotspot provided your plan covers that. Not sure on the scanning to onenote but there are a bunch of photo scanning apps out there.

Also got a new phone today, but went in a completely different direction: got the Blackberry Passport, and it's amazing.

Incredible display for productivity, best phone keyboard I've ever used, and BB 10.3 is very nice overall. Phone is much snappier than any of my previous Androids, build quality is top-notch, battery is BIS, and you can even sideload android apps. Swipes/gestures are also very intuitive, as the keyboard itself acts as a trackpad for scrolling (in any direction) which lets me avoid smudging up the screen - and there's no physical home button taking up space as you just swipe up from the bottom to get home, and swipe right-left to delete words.

Honestly, it feels like the SP3 of the phablet world - and best of all, it doesn't bend in your pants.

kundas1

After more than a year using a Nokia Lumin 810 I decided to by an iPhone. The reason simple, neither T-Mobile or Microsoft is releasing the WP8.1 for my phone. So it's time to move to a company that at least release updates more consistently.

Things that I use a lot.

wow really? Mr Windows defender? lol and then you goto the enemy... say it ain't so buddy! why didn't you go with the Nokia 1020-1520? that's the phone I'm going with next!

malberttoo

Things that I use a lot.

As others have said, photo syncing with the OneDrive app on the iPhone works as it did for you on your old phone.

No problem with tethering either.

Regarding scanning w/ camera, JotNot is decent, and is OneNote-aware.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jotnot-scanner/id310789464?mt=8

It's also mentioned on the OneNote site as well- http://www.onenote.com/apps

I was an iPhone user until 2 years ago when I jumped onto an HTC One (Android). I got an iPhone 6 this past Friday, and really enjoy it.

Hope it helps friend.

mcsenerd

I won't bang on you because at this point it's nothing but a urine spouting contest between major OS's at this point IMHO. There are a ton of scanning apps that are all pretty good on iOS. I use an app called TurboScan and you can easily send scans to the OneDrive app from within the app. When you setup the OneDrive app you can automatically sync your camera roll to OneDrive. As others have said, you can certainly use an iPhone as an AP just as with the other OS's out there.

benjitek

Things that I use a lot.
If you don't use albums, and just the Camera Roll, you can turn on Camera Roll backup within OneDrive on your iPhone and new pictures you take will be backed up. It'll work, but doesn't deal with albums. Personally, I have my primary Pictures folder on my SP2 setup within my OneDrive folder, point iTunes to that and sync it with my iPhone. Any pictures you place in folders sync over as albums, and everything gets backed up to OneDrive for safekeeping.

A couple things to keep in mind: albums that you sync over from your PC contain a reduced resolution copy of the original on your PC. Photos in your Camera Roll (renamed to 'Recently Added' in iOS 8) are stored in their original resolution. The Camera Roll doesn't sync, but it does backup whether to your PC or iCloud. OneDrive Camera Roll backup can be a convenient way to get just those pics onto your PC, the catch is they don't sync -- i.e. if you delete some from OneDrive, those deletions don't sync back to your phone. In effect you have 2 sets of photos to maintain. I've created a subfolder in Pictures on my SP2 called 'Camera Rolls', and I drag 'n drop pics from my iPhone (when tethered) to that folder, delete them from the phone, and then sync. It's a good way to store them until I have time to weed through them, while keeping my iPhones 'Camera Roll' uncluttered.

It'll all be much easier sometime in October when Apple releases an update to iCloud that lets you sync your photo library -- if you've installed the iCloud control panel on your SP3, your photos will sync there as well via iCloud Drive. All your photos (camera roll and albums) will sync.

Gary.M

Things that I use a lot.
Almost in the same situation as you: became disillusioned with windows phone mainly due to lack of apps so I upgraded to iPhone 6 plus 64g which I received yesterday. Really happy with it, love the size of the screen.
I have installed the onedrive app and have elected to sync my photos from the phone. Happy to find the OneNote app too so all my SP3 notes are synced too, brilliant.
Hotspot works great between my iPhone and the SP3