What's new

New member- I may have borked my surface pro 3

rkz

So, yes, I joined the community because I have a problem.
I've been a lurker for a while. Had this tablet for 3 months.
I have created problems upon problems for myself. Can you tell me if any of these are normal or have been discussed in other threads?

(1) When I got the tablet, everything was fine except the fan sometimes makes a sort of clicking noise when it turns on (or while it is running?). Barely audible but slightly unsettling. I haven't taken it in because it doesn't seem to affect performance.

(2). This is the most annoying to me because I LOVE the stylus. Very often I will be using it and it will just stop writing. I have to take it away from the screen and start again and press some buttons on the stylus and after fiddling it starts working again. So annoying. Ugh. Sometimes when I pull the stylus out of its loop to start, the same thing is happening. It really doesn't like going back and forth between writing and touching either. :(

(3). I enabled hyper-V, installed Linux, realized Hyper-V doesn't have USB passthrough so I couldn't install the Linux drivers for my peripheral, so I uninstalled it and disabled Hyper-V. This started the Pit of Problems. Is there a guide on things to do after disabling hyper-V?

(4). Now, my SP3 will often not come out of sleep correctly. It appears to boot to a fresh session. All of my apps are closed, when I open IE, it asks to restore tabs, etc. It seems like the device is actually shutting off (not gracefully) while asleep - I'm talking asleep for 10 minutes or so even. This is on batteries....not sure if it would happen plugged in because I don't let it sleep for a long time if plugged in.

(5) Now I have the dreaded WiFi issue....it disconnects from WiFi when coming out of standby (when it comes out normally). When it comes out from the deep freeze or whatever described in (4) the WiFi is fine.

(5) I think this is a universal issue but if my computer goes to sleep and it is connected to a remote computer (using RDP), then it takes some funky finger presses to even start my computer, Volume Up Down Power. Sometimes I have to do that multiple times. That is why I don't let me computer go to sleep while plugged in (normally when I am using RDP)

Thank you to any posters. Thank you for being part of this community.
Even with these ridiculous issues (especially the pen), I still look at my SP3 and marvel at it when it is sitting closed on my desktop. So much is packed into such a small device.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your best bet may be to do a Refresh/Reset. If you have all the desired files backed up a Reset. If you want to keep files a Refresh. Either way you would have to reinstall desktop apps.

Last edited:

leeshor

Welcome aboard lurker. I would go for what @GreyFox7 said. You have more things going on that it would be worth chasing down. A reset will likely make things right.

OP
R

rkz

Ah. OK. I was afraid of that. I am considering just dealing with it and going to Windows 10 consumer preview if it is going to be released fairly soon. I imagine that there isn't going to be any upgrade path between the current preview and the CP. Then again, I suppose there probably won't be one from CP to release either. In any event, I'd rather install Windows 10 fresh than upgrade from 8 so I'll be reinstalling my apps twice anyway.

Thanks for the friendly wave [emoji112]

kozak79

For the Pen, change the AAAA Battery. Worked for me, had same issue.

I also enabled Hyper-V in the beginning to get the performance profile. Started getting random crashes, bluescreens, and wifi problems. After refresh, everything was fine again.

ChiGGz

(3). I enabled hyper-V, installed Linux, realized Hyper-V doesn't have USB passthrough so I couldn't install the Linux drivers for my peripheral, so I uninstalled it and disabled Hyper-V. This started the Pit of Problems. Is there a guide on things to do after disabling hyper-V?

(4). Now, my SP3 will often not come out of sleep correctly. It appears to boot to a fresh session. All of my apps are closed, when I open IE, it asks to restore tabs, etc. It seems like the device is actually shutting off (not gracefully) while asleep - I'm talking asleep for 10 minutes or so even. This is on batteries....not sure if it would happen plugged in because I don't let it sleep for a long time if plugged in.

You may already know this, but when you enabled hyper-v, you effectively disabled connected standby (think of it like a cell phone coming out of "sleep"). But what your describing sounds like it goes beyond this issue.

The wifi sleep issue might be fixed by going into your power profile and selecting max performance under wifi.

Good luck

OP
R

rkz

I think that is only visible when using hyper v. I have in fact Disabled hyper-v so I don't see this either.

ChiGGz

I think that is only visible when using hyper v. I have in fact Disabled hyper-v so I don't see this either.

Correct. But once you change the WiFi power setting, it will persist even after you've removed hyper-v.

OP
R

rkz

Thank you everybody. I replaced the battery (yes, both directions) and I did a refresh on the PC, to no avail. My pen is not recognized at all. I'll have to see if it helped with the wifi or the sleep issues over time. Any tips on what to tell customer support? I will just use online chat. Unfortunately there is no windows store up here in South Bend IN.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Tell them the truth as you stated in your OP. The SP3 has been failing from the start. Fan clicking, powering off, not powering on, gesture control going random.

I'm optimistic that you will end up getting a replacement device, even if it requires a trip to The Fashion Mall. The SP3 is a marvel.

VickiFL

Tell them the truth as you stated in your OP. The SP3 has been failing from the start. Fan clicking, powering off, not powering on, gesture control going random.

I'm optimistic that you will end up getting a replacement device, even if it requires a trip to The Fashion Mall. The SP3 is a marvel.

Keystone at the Crossing used to be my favorite hangout. I lived most of my life in Indiana. Of course, they had no Microsoft Store there back in the 80's. :)

Hoosiers are nice people. I'm sure they will help you out. :)