What's new

New member strange behaviour on surface 2?

Daniel manley

Hi there

Thought I would share my brief experience with my new tablet. I've had my surface 2 about a month so far (having to return first as wouldn't charge) and mostly quite happy with the tablet especially at £259. The screen is really good, the build, and the kick stand is just ingenious! I really feels that comes in handy. I didn't purchase the keyboard, maybe I will in the future if I feel the need for physical keys. A big negative, was initially trying to connect to my Microsoft account. Very painful and problems and then the updates, the updates all about 40 of them took ages to install. This is only 80Mb FTTC connection. This somewhat dimmed the my initial impressions of the device. The speakers are a little on tinny side and lack bass, maybe I am spoilt by partners HTC one speakers) but still think on a tablet good speakers are quite important. I do sometimes miss the lack of apps but I have apps on my phone (nexus 5) and primary usage scenario on tablet is to watch media, YouTube, Netflix and music and this does them all well. The browser could be a little more stable though as sometimes pauses and lags a little. I use chrome on my partners nexus 7 and just seems a bit more useable. The ui is very intuitive and attractive. It is what made me buy it, as getting bored of android and needed a change. Very impressed plugging in my external hard drive and Surface being able to recognise it using the USB port. Good battery life,

What is strange is that the tablet will not recognise MKV stored on sdcard or on network share, they don't even show, but with hard drive it can see them and play most flawlessly? Bit strange.

In summary, impressive tablet at a bargain price, but spoilt a little from initial defective unit, setting up and updating which I would think a non techy user find a little frustrating. How comes my nexus devices can download a whole system image file and install it in 10 minutes or so?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum Daniel

Your statement
What is strange is that the tablet will not recognise MKV stored on sdcard or on network share, they don't even show, but with hard drive it can see them and play most flawlessly? Bit strange.
has me a little confused. Are you saying MKV file play on "internal"storage but not the network or microSD card?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can you right click on the file that is on external storage from explorer and select properties then click the unblock button?