What's new

New Member trying Windows for the first time since XP :)

Cuchulainn

Hi! I am new to the forum from the Denver metro area. I have been primarily a Mac user the past 10+ years and still own several of them. I decided to give a Surface Pro a try, because the iPad Pro was proving to be not the device I really need, which is a true 2 in 1. For my business use, I find I most often use and prefer a tablet, but there are times when I definitely do need a laptop. I was forced to always have my iPad Pro and 13" MBP available for use, alternating between the two.

I originally had a 9.7" iPad Pro to use with my 13" MBP, and had planned to upgrade to the new 12.9" after the update, but I made the mistake of opening up an email about the new Surface Pro, which lead to a visit to to the local Microsoft Store at the mall, which lead to a purchase, which in turn lead to me seeking out this forum.

Long story short, here I am :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

Windows 10 is very different to windows XP, yet at the same time, I still find it very familiar. You've chosen a good time to give it a go. It was a bit of a mess when first released, which naturally put a lot of people off. Not the case any more. Easily my favourite OS now.

OP
Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn

Thanks for the welcome! I had an issue where the bottom 1/3 of my screen began flaking and had to do an exchange, but I am back :)

convergent

Welcome... give yourself time to go through the learning curve. I've been a Mac user for many years and the new Surface Pro is the first windows computer I've bought in a very long time. I have had Windows at work, so not foreign to me; but we just got Windows 10 about a month ago. Both Windows 10 and MacOS are great operating systems. I became discouraged with where Apple is headed, and ultimately want to have one mobile device, not two. Apple doesn't get that.

OP
Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn

I have had a couple of missteps along the way. I am on my 3rd machine in 5 days, but I really do like it when it works. Hoping 3rd time is a charm and I can get past the exchange/setup cycle and into the learning curve portion :)

OP
Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn

Yes. I mentioned it in my original response, then I thought to myself "maybe he doesn't want everyone to know what other forums he is on" and backtracked on it :)

OP
Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn

lol... I use the same userid everywhere so pretty easy to figure it out! o_O

I have been doing the same for awhile, but started doing it after 2011, which was when I created the MR account. I was able to get a few of the older ones changed, but MR has a no username change policy and they wouldn't budge on it. Oh well :)