What's new

New Member with Surface Pro Issue

tgriffith

Hi all, new member here. Hoping some of you smart folks out there can assist as I'm pulling my hair out! :) My wife was given a used Surface Pro and it boots to the reset screen ("There was a problem resetting your PC."). I've tried just about everything I can think of. I've created a boot USB with Windows 8.0 and 8.1 and neither work. It wont let me load the OS or reformat the partition...always fails. I've also tried GParted to reformat the entire drive and it fails as well. Bad drive? Hoping someone has run across this and it's easier than I'm making it out to be, but not holding my breath. Last resort would be to have her take it in to have someone look at it, but not sure it's worth it since it's a fairly old device and doesn't look all that fun to try to crack into. Thoughts? I know I'm not giving much info...I can provide whatever you want/need to see...just didn't want to throw random data out there.

Thanks,
Todd

leeshor

Welcome to the forum Todd. I hope someone can work through it with you. Did it ever work at all?

OP
T

tgriffith

Thanks!! Me too! :) It worked before it was given to us. Basically if we can fix it, we can have it. So not really any loss, but it'd be nice to be able to toy with it before I spring for a Surface 3!!!

TunaSurface

Hey, not much into the technical side of computers, but this does seem more like a general computer problem rather than a surface related issue. Although people here probably have some good ideas I'd still recommend checking other sites and forums in addition, as I'm sure you already have.

Hope you get the device working, I'm currently using the Surface Pro as my main PC and as odd as it may seem it works perfectly. It's a really good computer, definitely worth small repair fees.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
OP
T

tgriffith

Ya, i tried the recovery image as well. I dont recall the exact error (i could retry and post it), but after that didn't work i figured it was time to reformat and load an 8.1 iso i had...but even reformatting doesn't do the trick, which is why i'm worried it's a hardware issue.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya, i tried the recovery image as well. I dont recall the exact error (i could retry and post it), but after that didn't work i figured it was time to reformat and load an 8.1 iso i had...but even reformatting doesn't do the trick, which is why i'm worried it's a hardware issue.
Quick format? did you try non quick format? what did you use to format... built in Recovery or something else if it was something else then you booted to something which might let you run a disk test/diagnostic.

It sounds like he's dead Jim. :)

OP
T

tgriffith

I've tried both the normal and quick format. :( That's probably what i need to do next is run a hardware diagnostic on it to see what that returns. I agree...i think its probably dead!!