What's new

New Microsoft Surface Commercial Shows Off Useful Features Instead of Dancing Skills

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
[video=youtube;yswUFCD1x0A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yswUFCD1x0A[/video]​

While we have to admit the first Microsoft Surface commercial was definitely entertaining and grabbed your attention, it was rather weak in the "showcasing features" department. This new one aims to rectify that situation and is actually quite informative, sharing a slew of features like kickstand and Touch Cover keyboard pad, which basically allows you to transform the tablet into a more traditional PC-like device. We also get to see many of the tab's connections, like the HD video port, the USB 2.0 port, and the microSD card slot. Enjoy!

J515OP

Super Moderator
I'm a little surprised they haven't shown off the use of the track pad on the keyboards, just typing. Granted it sort of takes away from the whole "touch" thing they are going for but knowing both covers also have a track pad is a huge deal particularly for navigating Office.

Edit: Well the video does show some touching of the track pad but not how it is moving a cursor on the screen, so it just sort of looks like they are touching the edge of the touch/type covers. I guess at the end of the day when it is in people's hands they will know what to do with a keyboard and track pad combo ;) Laptop when you need it, tablet when you don't.

Last edited:

D.T. Rose

I'm a little surprised they haven't shown off the use of the track pad on the keyboards, just typing. Granted it sort of takes away from the whole "touch" thing they are going for but knowing both covers also have a track pad is a huge deal particularly for navigating Office.

Edit: Well the video does show some touching of the track pad but not how it is moving a cursor on the screen, so it just sort of looks like they are touching the edge of the touch/type covers. I guess at the end of the day when it is in people's hands they will know what to do with a keyboard and track pad combo ;) Laptop when you need it, tablet when you don't.

Interesting observation. I wonder if a mouse-like cursor pops in when the cover is in "Type" mode? Or, is there a setting in the OS that you must enable to activate the cursor for use with the track pad?

J515OP

Super Moderator
My best guess is that it is a hidden cursor like you can do on your PC currently. Don't move it for a few seconds and it disappears. Touch the track pad and it pops back in. Most likely it will also only show up in desktop mode but who knows. Modern UI can be navigated with a mouse on a PC so maybe RT works the same way, it just detects the track pad being used and pops up a cursor no matter what mode you are in.