What's new

New Microsoft Surface Pro user, questionable screen durability.

vazls1

Hello, maybe you guys and girls can help me.

I chatted with Microsoft tech support earlier in the day about this issue and I wasn't really satisfied with the answer. The problem is that I purchased a brand new 128 GIG Surface Pro to use for my work and after a month of ownership my screen has already gotten marred up really bad. This isn't typical surface scratches but gouges where visible indentations have been left. While it doesn't see to affect usability and is mostly cosmetic, I have absolutely no idea how they could have gotten there being that the Surface Pro leads a rather cush life, transiting either in my bag or on the desk.

When I talked to the tech support, he said that the scratches would not be covered under warranty and that he recommended that I buy a screen protector and a sleeve from the Microsoft store to prevent future damage. I wasn't really satisfied with that answer given that A. The screen should be a lot more durable then it is; B. The Surface already has a cover (keyboard cover), so why would I purchase another one? and C. If they felt that the sleeve and the screen protector were so important, why didn't they include it with the purchase already?

I gathered that at one point or the other a pen might have gotten lodged between the keyboard and the screen and the metal clipping might have caused the damage, but if the keyboard is trapping things between it and the screen then that seems like it would be a design flaw moreso then anything else. Its not user error when your expecting the cover to work as designed.

I've owned two HTC products that had absolutely BULLETPROOF screens, and they had been through a lot more then what the Surface Pro has gone through. Additionally, they claim that it's Gorilla Glass which is supposed to be tough, but my experience is that this particular example is far from it. At my local hacker space shop that I have a membership at, I've talked to a few people that have active experience with Gorilla Glass and they say that it seems like there might be a quality issue with the screen, probably due to the size of the screen itself and the manufacturer taking shortcuts in the production process

Regardless, I expect Microsoft to make something a bit more durable considering that it's a 1200 product.

Thanks.

OP
V

vazls1

Yes. The type pad cover infers protection. Why would I have put a screen protector on my Surface if it already has a cover?

DOS

...after a month of ownership my screen has already gotten marred up really bad. This isn't typical surface scratches but gouges where visible indentations have been left.

...I have absolutely no idea how they could have gotten there ...

I gathered that at one point or the other a pen might have gotten lodged between the keyboard and the screen and the metal clipping might have caused the damage...

Sounds like maybe you do have an idea how they got there.

ArnoldC

<snip>I gathered that at one point or the other a pen might have gotten lodged between the keyboard and the screen and the metal clipping might have caused the damage, but if the keyboard is trapping things between it and the screen then that seems like it would be a design flaw moreso then anything else.<snip>
Consider this- you're using your notebook, laid a pen on the keyboard and closed the lid. Design flow?

tonyz3

I am sorry- nothing worse than damage on your new toy.... just curious do you have the accidental coverage or No? I was curious if MS said no to a claim on the accidental coverage..just for my own knowledge.... thanks.

OP
V

vazls1

I am sorry- nothing worse than damage on your new toy.... just curious do you have the accidental coverage or No? I was curious if MS said no to a claim on the accidental coverage..just for my own knowledge.... thanks.

Thanks Tony, I appreciate it.

I purchased the Surface Pro through Best Buy. I have it insured through my credit union (USAA) under electronics coverage via the renters insurance. I do not specifically have accident coverage through Microsoft itself.

I'm not trying to seek replacement under warranty, as the marring is just a cosmetic issue right now and I want to minimize downtime because I'm trying to actually get work done. But I am concerned because I already have an expectation of screen durability due to my prior experience with Android devices. Its also about having standards. I like to keep my stuff nice. I know plenty of people don't have problems with messing stuff up and wearing/using it messed up, but I'm not one of them.