What's new

Solved New/Old member wonders where to go next

It's been along time since I've been on these forums. Started when I got my Surface RT and continued up to the time I got my Surface 3.

I've loved my Surface 3, and if I didn't have so many charging issues wouldn't need to think about upgrading now. But it won't take a charge anymore, so I've gotta move on.

I'm going back and forth between a Surface Pro (m3) or a Surface Book. I think I might like the slightly larger size of the Surface Book.

Anyone who has used both have preferences?

Mostly, my device is a word processor, I write at least one sermon and one bible study each week. Then I use the device to have access to my written presentation as I present. Surface RT and Surface 3 have served me very well, but do I want the bigger screen offered by Surface Book, or would I be satisfied with a Surface Pro?

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can wait until December there might be a new option for you as Widows on ARM devices are expected to launch. Otherwise the best Surface 3 replacement right now IMO is the Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6 followed by a Core m Surface.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above. That said, I think it entirely depends on how you use the device. Essentially the surface pro is a tablet, which can become a slightly compromised laptop ("lapability"), while the surface book is a laptop which can become a slightly compromised tablet (very poor battery life)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A bigger screen and or Surface Book is a whole other animal, not a Surface 3 replacement... but a complete change of workflow and usages. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

OP
B

brocharlieb

My RT had charger issues, but that wasn't what caused me to upgrade to the Surface 3. My Surface 3 has had charger issues, and it is the charger issues that are necessitating an upgrade at this time. What has the better charging system, Surface Pro or Surface Book?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My RT had charger issues, but that wasn't what caused me to upgrade to the Surface 3. My Surface 3 has had charger issues, and it is the charger issues that are necessitating an upgrade at this time. What has the better charging system, Surface Pro or Surface Book?
AFAIK they are the same, work with the same adapters using the Surface Connect connector. The Surface 3 with it's micro USB charging was (lets be honest) a mistake. I think they admitted as much.

I would point out, although it's not really portable, you can get Surface 3 docks really cheap (like $15 on Amazon in The US) that charge via the Display Port. Assuming your battery would still take a charge. The Dock doesn't have a micro USB connector on it.

OP
B

brocharlieb

GreyFox7, you are indeed a SUPERMODERATOR. I think the miniusb port is the main problem, I've ordered the dock and I believe it will allow me to get the life out of the Surface 3 I always thought it ought to get. It's my opinion that devices that cost as much as these ought to have a minimum of a four year working life.

Last edited:
OP
B

brocharlieb

What manner of magic is this? I do not understand how the device charges my Surface. It does, I just don't understand how. But, since it does, I'm marking my problem solved, and saying thank you.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's never been any official statement. By observation there are two options, either USB A or DisplayPort since those are the only two connections on the Dock to the Surface. By all accounts nobody has ever gotten a Surface 3 to charge via the USB A port. By elimination that leaves the DisplayPort. Experimentation revealed that by blocking the DisplayPort with tape it did not charge. We therefore unofficially conclude it charges via the DisplayPort and we assume it uses DockPort technology to do so.