What's new

New owner of S3 but some problems, need some help

mrconfuse

Got the surface 3 and was planning on using it for work when I'm away from my desktop. But unfortunately it's not working as well as I would like it too. I'm trying to see if i can over come it, if not I may have to return it.

The problem? RDP resolution is killing me. Before anyone tells to me use remote desktop connection manager, I am using it. RDP screen is tiny, i open up applications on the server and it is small. If i lower the resolution on my surface 3 i get black bars (which is okay) but the RDP connection also gets black/gray bars in full screen mode. The RDP connection does not utilize the whole screen. What I really need is have the RDP connection at 1280 x 1024 but stretched out completely that it uses the whole surface 3 display. no black/ gray bars. (similar to stretching out a dvd movie to fill up a HDTV screen, looks like crap but you have no bars). Nothing I've done has worked. Looking for some help

DLCPhoto

This may or may not be an option for you, but Team Viewer works pretty well for me. There's a touch app for Team Viewer, and it works quite nicely.

Just a thought.

netuser

Got the surface 3 and was planning on using it for work when I'm away from my desktop. But unfortunately it's not working as well as I would like it too. I'm trying to see if i can over come it, if not I may have to return it.

The problem? RDP resolution is killing me. Before anyone tells to me use remote desktop connection manager, I am using it. RDP screen is tiny, i open up applications on the server and it is small. If i lower the resolution on my surface 3 i get black bars (which is okay) but the RDP connection also gets black/gray bars in full screen mode. The RDP connection does not utilize the whole screen. What I really need is have the RDP connection at 1280 x 1024 but stretched out completely that it uses the whole surface 3 display. no black/ gray bars. (similar to stretching out a dvd movie to fill up a HDTV screen, looks like crap but you have no bars). Nothing I've done has worked. Looking for some help
Remote Desktop Connection Manager works.
You need to set the local resolution of the Surface to something you like, then use version 2.2 of RDCM and then set the remote desktop size to "full screen."

netuser

I found that you can use the newer RDCM 2.7 if you follow these instructions.
One thing I did differently than it says below is that I set "remote desktop size" as FULL SCREEN instead of SAME AS CLIENT AREA. Then go to the Session menu and select Full Screen.
----------------------------
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...db-77db3685e8c6?page=3&rtAction=1432573408787

Hello All,

I was able to get the following working.

Remote machine I wanted to RDP to: Windows 7 ultimate w/SP1

Local machine I'm on: Windows 8.1 running on Surface Pro 3 with high DPI screen

Steps that worked for me:

1. Download Remote Desktop Connection Manager v2.7 and install it.

2. Add the remote machine. In the property ensure that:

a. "Remote Desktop Settings" tab is set to "Same as client area" or a resolution you prefer.

b. "Display Settings" tab has both "Scale docked" and "scale undocked" remote desktop to fit window checked.

3. Browse to c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Remote Desktop Connection Manager\ , right click on RDCMan.exe , properties, compatibility tab, ensure the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" checkbox is _unchecked_ . For mine it was checked by default after installation.

Test it with various resolution for 2a and see which one works best for you.

Hope that helps.

Itrcb4

Last edited: