What's new

New owner of Surface Pro

liv.kitchin

Hi everyone!

I just purchased my 1st Surface Pro. It's the 1st model, 65gb.

I've been wanting the Surface Pro for a while, and was drooling all over the Pro 3. But it wasn't in my budget. I’m a avid buyer of used electronics, and I always keep an eye open for electronics.

Well, this last deal I believe was the best one so far. Grabbed it for 210$! I’m pretty pumped!

I’m giving it to my sister, as her HP laptop is 5 years old and really horrible.

In your opinion, how well does the Surface Pro compare to current laptops?

JesseDiaz

Im not sure about the 1st Gen...but I too had been drooling over the Surface Pro but waited as I thought there we too many cons in the 1st and 2nd Gen. The 3rd Gen was another thing. I preordered my i5/256 and received in June 20th. It has totally replaced my laptop and I upgraded my daughters iPad 2 by giving her my iPad Air. THe SP3 and iPad are not comparable in my opinion because they do different things but that's another whole thread left for another day.
Anyways, I love the pen, the power, and the small problems I had with it in the beginning have all been fixed with Microsofts updates. The problems I experienced were small and I think for the majority of us, this would be the case. But I have read of crazy problem but one would expect some issues
And I never ONCE considered the RT version....too limiting for what I want to do and at that point I would just stay with an iPad

Hope this helps a bit

toaf

i had a SP for a month, 64 gig.
waiting for a deal on ebay and got a SP2 512 with some extras
but i loved the SP1. the 64 gig might hurt but just have her install most stuff on a 128 gig microSD and all should be good. sometimes i think my SP1 ran beter then my SP2. but im sure its not

jetstreamblue

I love my SP, it has replaced my laptop and I find I almost never use my Android tablet anymore. I started with the touch cover 2 and I wasn't able to be productive on it without using an external keyboard. Now that I got the power cover, it really makes it possible to use it the way I want. Sure I see the SP3 and drool a bit, but for what I paid for my SP, there's no comparison.

rcab

I too am a new owner of a SurfacePro 128 gb that I bought on Ebay. I am enjoying my unit. I did not want to spend the money on the newer models since. I wanted something to use with my laptop that would be more mobile without having the expense of the newer units. I found a deal where it included some accessories including extra stylus and charging cord.

glx

I like the SP1 (and 2) more than the new SP3, because of its smaller size. Carrying around is easier and if a want to use a bigger screen i have an 21"-LCD at home where I connect it to. I got my SP (1) some time ago, the only thing why I'd like to have a SP2 is the 256GB/8GB-RAM (or maybe even 512GB) option because it's my only PC and I store everything on it. I also have the 24W RT-power-supply for on the way use because it's smaller and for charging it's enoungh :).
By the way, do you use your SP more like a laptop or more like a tablet?

jimkraz

I had a Surface RT then got myself a first gen Surface Pro, I use my Surface Pro every day in place of my desktop, I do have a 23" monitor to connect to but don't use it often, I have got so used to the 10" screen, would love a Surface Pro 3 but being a pensioner I will need about two years to save up, keep buying the lottery ticket.

jetstreamblue

I also picked up an RT charger for travel use, great accessory! And I almost always use my pro as a laptop, although recently I've tried to remind myself I can use it as a tablet and started using it more like that in the evenings for casual browsing. A 64gb micro SD and network storage at home takes care of SSD size limitations for me.

malberttoo

Hi everyone!

I just purchased my 1st Surface Pro. It's the 1st model, 65gb.

I've been wanting the Surface Pro for a while, and was drooling all over the Pro 3. But it wasn't in my budget. I’m a avid buyer of used electronics, and I always keep an eye open for electronics.

Well, this last deal I believe was the best one so far. Grabbed it for 210$! I’m pretty pumped!

I’m giving it to my sister, as her HP laptop is 5 years old and really horrible.

In your opinion, how well does the Surface Pro compare to current laptops?

Welcome to the forum!

IMHO, the SPro still holds up well as a PC. I was more limited by the screen size than anything else. Otherwise, as an IT man there wasn't anything I couldn't do on mine.