What's new

new owner. solid couple weeks with SP

waxfondler

hello everyone :)
new SP owner, here is my thoughts for potential buyers:

so the SP caught my attention because of its "hybrid" capabilities. I am a designer, and sketching is my priority so the SP looked like a great solution. FINALLY!!!! I said to myself when the SP was announced. I am a mac user, so jumping over to windows 8 (especially considering all the bad press), is a miracle ;)

I needed a tool... a bonafide artist tablet. and apple just doesn't cut it... and I refuse to drop the money for a modbook. i started off purchasing a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet with android & n-trig pen capabilities.... purely for sketching (ipad was NOT an option). but for $400, it was a good risk to give the tablet a shot.... sketched on it for a solid year or so, and i found the "app" environment extremely limiting. sketchbook for tablets was enough to hold me off, but i NEEDED the fullblown program. plus, Lenovo seemed to have abandoned the tablet and never looked back... barely any updates.

in comes the Surface PRO. hardware-wise, i was amazed.... software-wise, understandably skeptical. i lurked on this site for a bit, saw a lot of lukewarm responses for the SP, so i took my time to really ponder the purchase... $1,000 is a solid investment. i NEEDED a better tool, so i took the plunge and tried the SP.

my previous workflow:
- sketch on android tablet
- export .psd
- transfer to external HD
- connect to mac laptop with Wacom tablet
- import to illustrator, then photoshop
- carrying a total of 4 gadgets (including all powercords, etc)

NEW workflow on SP:
- sketch with FULL sketchbook pro
- export .psd
- import to illustrator, then photoshop
- carrying 1 device

IMO, this was a solid investment :)
now the SP isn't perfect, but considering the laggy android environment and crashes experienced previously, i can deal with a few windows 8 quirks.

granted, i don't consider myself a power user, i DEFINITELY don't take the SP into deep waters... i use it mainly for sketching. i keep my drives light, and the SP handles really well. throw in an NES emulator and some ROMS... and counter-strike on steam (low quality settings).... i am a happy camper.

nit-picks:
- light leaks on screen... exchanged it, and new one still suffers from some. ugh
- damn thing wakes in bag, solution is to just shutdown.... start up is surprisingly fast.
- pen "storage" option laughable
- device a bit 'slippery' in hande. need a solid grip
- hdmi-out has audio issues sometimes... restart fixes

anywho, thanks for reading, hope it helps any potential SP owners.

Russ

WaxFondler --

Welcome to the forum. That is an excellent summary; thanks for posting it.

The simplification of your workflow is wonderful. Somebody had you in mind when they designed the Pro.

Regards,
Russ

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum and as Russ said, excellent summary. Sometimes the loudest people aren't the most representative. I am glad to hear you tried the Surface out despite what you may have heard and I am happy to hear it works for you. I believe many people are in the exact same situation as you and just need to hear about what the experience can be and not FUD that is loudly spread. You also hit on many of the common complaints which are fair and interestingly no complaints about the lack of a Start button or lack of ability to boot directly to the desktop which are two of the loudest complaints (though not necessarily the most important function wise).

JP

mitchellvii

You got the SP for the same reason I did. Yes it has many flaws, some of them tragic because they are just dumb, but it was the "best athlete in the draft" at the moment and I needed to draft a new tablet/ultrabook then, not in 6 months.

I'm not unhappy with my SP. Sort of like someone you date who is fun to be with, but they still aren't "the one". You know you'll break up with them eventually but for now it beats being alone.

J515OP

Super Moderator
You got the SP for the same reason I did. Yes it has many flaws, some of them tragic because they are just dumb, but it was the "best athlete in the draft" at the moment and I needed to draft a new tablet/ultrabook then, not in 6 months.

I'm not unhappy with my SP. Sort of like someone you date who is fun to be with, but they still aren't "the one". You know you'll break up with them eventually but for now it beats being alone.

Hopefully Windows 8.1 will be like the girl you are dating getting her braces off or the drafted athlete maturing and coming into his own. More than likely those sorts of changes will continue to come and eventually the app Market will become on par with Apple and Android which will be like becoming one of the cool kids ;)

mitchellvii

Hopefully Windows 8.1 will be like the girl you are dating getting her braces off or the drafted athlete maturing and coming into his own. More than likely those sorts of changes will continue to come and eventually the app Market will become on par with Apple and Android which will be like becoming one of the cool kids ;)

More like a boob job and a butt lift :)

But it doesn't really matter. I'll be going Haswell and a bigger screen as soon as possible. Don't think I'll go with a touch style keyboard again. I like the sliders or the flippers if they can make those thin enough. I don't want another tablet/ultrabook where I have to detach the keyboard and put it somewhere when I'm not using it.

My GF can't wait for me to get something new.

I've been enjoying my Surface Pro, quite a bit at times, but then again I have Start8 installed so I don't have to go Modern UI unless I actually want to. I hope MS further develops bookmark management in IE 11 Modern UD version as I enjoy the way it works.

** One weird thing I have noticed. Seems fonts look more jagged to me in Modern UI IE 10 than on desktop.

Last edited:
OP
W

waxfondler

yeah I guess I went in with low expectations and got surprised. lol

the whole start button fiasco was a non-issue for me since i haven't touched a windows machine in a decade. im a dedicated mac user, so this was gonna be foreign to me regardless.

as long as this thing lasts me the next year or so, im good.

malberttoo

the whole start button fiasco was a non-issue for me since i haven't touched a windows machine in a decade. im a dedicated mac user, so this was gonna be foreign to me regardles.

I'm strictly a Windows user, and the Start button WAS an issue for me. But I intentionally did not use a Windows 8 machine until the Surface Pro came out, and the more I use Win 8, the more I like it.

Good review of your experience.

nit-picks:
- light leaks on screen... exchanged it, and new one still suffers from some. ugh

You're right, this is an issue for some Pros.

nit-picks:
- damn thing wakes in bag, solution is to just shutdown.... start up is surprisingly fast.

As quickly as the thing shuts down and starts up, I never bother with sleep anymore, except when I'm trying to save the state of the system.

nit-picks:
- pen "storage" option laughable
- device a bit 'slippery' in hande. need a solid grip

Seriously, you should check out this case! It's an AWESOME case, fixes your pen problem, and will also fix your "grip" problem, AND will make your Surface Pro look even classier! Several folks here on the forum will recommend it as well... Amazon.com: Manvex Slim and Compact Leather Folio Case Cover for the Microsoft Surface PRO Tablet with Windows 8 | Built-in Stand with Multiple Viewing Angles with Stylus Holder - Also compatible with the Type Cover and Touch Cover from Microsoft (Ke Amazon has been backordered on it for a couple of weeks now, contact the manufacturer (Manvex) and see when they'll have more in.

Hope it helps!

tonyz3

yep i agree - nice case but not for me. I did however put a Stickerboy Black brushed metal skin on the SP and it helps with the grip and keeps its sexyness. By the way i have had it 3 months or so and still looks as good as the day i first put the skin on. I even put the skin on the type cover which originally i had reservations that it would stick to the felt cover- but it is still sticking nicely. http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...urface-casing-possible-fixes-2.html#post19880

Last edited:

vinumsv

that manvex case looks pretty cool, but the SP is pretty sexy alone

Indeed its smoking hot :excited:

759d1368722864-post-pictures-your-surface-pro-549087_10151691366109574_493099063_n.jpg