What's new

New owner, underwhelmed...

Allen_B

Just purchased my Surface Laptop (new i7, 512HDD, 16GB RAM version) and hate to say its not the nirvana I expected.

Came from a MacBook Air (2012) loaded out but it was time. Have a lot of experience with the Surface Pro line thanks to work and opted for the "book" line for the clamshell ops and tablet feature. My complaints are interface, battery life (in tablet mode) the weight overall, and Windows apps being laggy and generally poor.

Seriously considering returning the SB2 for a cheaper option (either the Samsung Pro 9 or the HP X36) as a better value. I realize the MS apps are going to be junk for now regardless of the platform but I (wrongly) thought going with a top end Surface would alleviate the craptastic experience with apps and the touch keyboard. Over a grand in savings is significant, despite the MS marketing.

Accept this is likely a fanboy site but still asking...

Change my mind...

Allen

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Allen

I am a Mac Pro and MacBook fan, and also have been a Surface owner for years, various models.

Thanks for posting. This community of enthusiasts is not here to change your mind, of course, but to help you get the most out of your Surface.

Your Surface may be a bit laggy because OneDrive is still syncing your new account and PC. Or, desktop apps may meet your needs better. Don’t know ...

The battery life in tablet mode is not long, as you mention. But it is lightweight, IMO. The weight overall is a bit heavy, but the machine is strong.

I hope you can find the right PC for your needs. There are some very good machines out there. Surface is just one option.

OP
A

Allen_B

I don't think there's a sync problem- I only use OneDrive for a select few items and the device is fully synced.

The lag issues are with apps, specifically the MS News (the biggest offender), FB and Messenger. Great connectivity, the apps just appear to need work. One would think that the "apps" would be lighter weight and more responsive compared to traditional web pages but doesn't seem to be the case in practice.

The other oddity is glitchy performance with the on-screen keyboard in various applications. I found an article to fix problems with Chrome but the integration of the touch screen keyboard seems to be seriously lacking. Perhaps the bar is set pretty high with iOS and Android devices but Win 10 has been out for years now and it still isn't quite there. I'm quite adept at researching issues like this but that's one perceived reasons for paying the premium for a MS device- it should be seamless.

Again, I like my new Surface Book especially the versatility of detaching the tablet. Just experiencing buyer's remorse, thinking I way over-paid for the capabilities to the tune of a grand or so. Was accustomed to the "Apple Tax" but in many ways the products were actually slick and well integrated. I have zero issue paying for premium devices that deliver on premium experiences, just unsure yet if the SB 2 meets that. Not an Apple FanBoy by any means, just scratching my head on the execution so far on a MS branded device...

Allen

OP
A

Allen_B

So the return window (no pun intended) has closed and becoming more enamored with my Surface Book.
I have to wonder what Microsoft's monitoring and engagement is with this community. Please understand, that comment is heavily based in ignorance, hoping that MS wants to improve their offerings and tweak things to provide the best possible.
This is an area Apple has excelled in and many indications suggest MS is moving in this direction, just wondering if it is true...

V/r

Allen

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
As mentioend - not trying to change minds here, but I dropped the €3575 on the top of the line Surface Book 2 and I have zero complaints. In all honesty, I don't have a Mac anything to compare the SB2 with , but I do have a few Android Devices. (Love my new S10 Plus)

The MS Store is filled with both great and subpar apps. For the most part, minus the occasional game - I steer clear of the MS Apps, and use acutal software. Most likely because I'm an old school MS guy - I use FB Messenger online (website) and allow the site to send push notifications to Focus Assist. Haven't missed a message yet. I feel your pain however - Google PlayStore is full of useless apps, some of them even contain highly questionable coding. Don't get me started on advertisements via apps - I use an app called Adguard to stop all ads on Freeware, or if I really like an app - I'll drop the change to kill the ads.

My Surface Book is what I consider a Mini-Beast. I've been building gaming rigs (and all others types of PCs) for years and to get a 4.2GHz processor (8th Gen) in a slim line PC...Enough said, I could go on & on.

I tried taking a bite out of the Apple - more than once - I just can't get past the locked down, proprietary nature of IOS. If I want to alter my/any system without needing to first 'Jailbreak' it - I should be able to. I do appreciate the freedom to test full versions of Software via Windows (El Pirate) without having to purchase them first.

I really hope your SB continues to grow on you. I do agree that MS should work out certain bugs prior to the release of such high-grade machines. It's as though the Quality Control department is underfunded or overlooked. We shouldn't have glitches to work out or any issues needing an update after these items leave the shelf.

XROne

As mentioend - not trying to change minds here, but I dropped the €3575 on the top of the line Surface Book 2 and I have zero complaints. In all honesty, I don't have a Mac anything to compare the SB2 with , but I do have a few Android Devices. (Love my new S10 Plus)
Thanks for this thread. I am a privacy person and purchased my second hand Surface 3 to install linux on. I am not that much of a privacy person as my computers are not updated because they are no longer supported. I still haven't installed Linux yet, though I tried a few times, problems may stem from unsupported systems I am using to install with. i will go to a Linux install fest cause I am beyond my ability and have an expert try to install it for me. I am hoping it will be snappier than Windows 10 or 11 on my newer SP4. both Linux and Windows probably have a lot of legacy systems to support but I think Linux will be a lighter system.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioend - not trying to change minds here, but I dropped the €3575 on the top of the line Surface Book 2 and I have zero complaints. In all honesty, I don't have a Mac anything to compare the SB2 with …
I purchased two Surface Book 2 15” 1TB devices in 2016 for use as my production geophysical workstation, and a backup. The SB2s are brilliant and reliable machines, and worth every gold coin. I have Macs too. I like Apples AND oranges. Still no touch screen on them, though, and far less customizable, but solid.