What's new

New problems with networking, anyone?

Has anyone experienced changes in networking functionality over the last few days?

I've been experiencing a series of bizarre changes and am not sure if they are because of recent updates or what.

Strangeness:

- today for example, the only application that seems to be able to access the internet is Modern IE. My mail app, chat client, and all desktop browsers (ie, chrome, firefox) all timeout. I can't figure out how in the world just one specific browser is working just fine but no other internet apps are??

- I've also noticed other strange behavior lately, including 'restarts' the just do a shutdown and never restart
- Manual restarts that take a long time to complete.

Not sure if the weirdness I'm seeing is updated related or not.

One thing that I know recently changed was I had removed and let the system re-install the Marvell Networking driver (at Microsoft's suggestion).

Michael

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do a manual check for updates. Control Panel, System and Security, Windows Updates, Check for Updates.

If there aren't any try removing and reinstalling the network adapter gain, use the delete files option.

Then check for updates again.

Do a manual check for updates. Control Panel, System and Security, Windows Updates, Check for Updates.

If there aren't any try removing and reinstalling the network adapter gain, use the delete files option.

Then check for updates again.
thanks for the ideas. just to be clear though, if I use the option to delete files when uninstalling the network driver, how is the system going to be able to find a driver to install?

From the original compressed driver cab files.
That makes sense to me, but I'm not quite sure how to get going down that path... I've deleted the driver and removed it from the drive store, and then I chose "Scan for hardware changes", thinking it would find the NIC and prompt me to install the driver. But it's not doing that. I also tried rebooting, followed by "Scan for hardware changes" and it's not seeming to find the NIC...

Any ideas?
M

That makes sense to me, but I'm not quite sure how to get going down that path... I've deleted the driver and removed it from the drive store, and then I chose "Scan for hardware changes", thinking it would find the NIC and prompt me to install the driver. But it's not doing that. I also tried rebooting, followed by "Scan for hardware changes" and it's not seeming to find the NIC...

Any ideas?
M
I did find this link, pursuing that now.. hopefully its the right path :)
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...connectivity/install-wireless-drivers?lc=1033