What's new

Solved New SB owner - Can't update firmware on devices?

Sprayingmango

Can anyone help me? I am very confused by what I've found on this forum.

My device manager looks like this and Windows Update will not update the firmware. Also, manually downloading the driver package from microsoft did not work.

I am googling how to do the DISM fix and attempting that, but I am not even sure I am doing it correctly since I cannot find a coherent step by step guide for the Surface Book. Can anyone tell me how to update these firmware and why my brand new surface book will not update the firmware of these devices?

1Jwk6zM.png

dcoplien

Start with just one of them. Right click and select "properties" then "roll back driver". Reboot your SB. Once rebooted, do the same thing but select "update driver". Use the top "search automatically for the updated driver". Follow the instructions. Reboot may take awhile. If it appears to hang on the reboot (give it at least 30 minutes), then long hold the power key until it shuts down. Give it a minute or two and then turn on your SB. I had to do this twice to get it to finally update and install.

If that works, do it for all the others. If it doesn't work, post here and I will give you a step by step for sfc/scannow and DISM.

If it fails you will also need a windows 10 .iso. Please let me know if you know how to create one.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sprayingmango

Thank you for this!!!

I am currently running the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth command, it's been going for probably 40 minutes so far...I can only hope its still working??

Is it supposed to take this long? The CMD window is just sitting at "Image Version 10.0.10586.0" with no other information in the window.

Resource monitor shows that my SB is working (judging by the CPU / Disk activity) but nothing else is showing up in the CMD prompt.

dcoplien

Give it an hour or so. How long it takes depends on what all is installed. You did run DISM as an administrator and mount the .iso? Also, assuming you did this as

DSIM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:d:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

and not as

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

In the 1st, replace d with the drive letter for the mounted iso. It won't be the same as what would normally be your disk letter....example, you used flash drive d. It would probably mount as e.

Once done (with the iso) make sure and run sfc/scannow afterwards.

dcoplien

Thank you for this!!!

I am currently running the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth command, it's been going for probably 40 minutes so far...I can only hope its still working??

Is it supposed to take this long? The CMD window is just sitting at "Image Version 10.0.10586.0" with no other information in the window.

Resource monitor shows that my SB is working (judging by the CPU / Disk activity) but nothing else is showing up in the CMD prompt.
If you have trouble, let me know and I will PM you my phone number.

dcoplien

Thank you for this!!!

I may have misunderstood your post. If you did roll back then update and are using

then you are fine unless there were other problems that caused the update failure in the first place.

OP
S

Sprayingmango

Give it an hour or so. How long it takes depends on what all is installed. You did run DISM as an administrator and mount the .iso? Also, assuming you did this as

DSIM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:d:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

and not as

In the 1st, replace d with the drive letter for the mounted iso. It won't be the same as what would normally be your disk letter....example, you used flash drive d. It would probably mount as e.

Once done (with the iso) make sure and run sfc/scannow afterwards.

I believe I successfully completed the DISM process thanks to your help! It said it repaired files and sfc /scannow was able to repair files as well. Thank you so much!

I am now going to tackle those firmware devices from your first reply. :)

OP
S

Sprayingmango

So this is fantastic, upon first restarting the machine once the DISM / scannow process finished, it went through a few restarts during the "Surface" loading screen and updated all of the firmware from my very first post!! WOOHOO!! :)

Are there any other updates / utility scans I should do on this Surface book? Mine has the dGPU, are there any specific drivers I should run? I really love this device, having been a longtime Apple user (20+ years) I made the switch and love it so far.

dcoplien

So this is fantastic, upon first restarting the machine once the DISM / scannow process finished, it went through a few restarts during the "Surface" loading screen and updated all of the firmware from my very first post!! WOOHOO!! :)

Are there any other updates / utility scans I should do on this Surface book? Mine has the dGPU, are there any specific drivers I should run? I really love this device, having been a longtime Apple user (20+ years) I made the switch and love it so far.
Nope. If scannow gave you no errors, you should be good to go.