What's new

New SP 2 only connects to router at 802.11a

CrippsCorner

I've noticed something strange going on with my AirPort Express...

Usually when I boot up the Surface automatically connects to the 2.4GHz connection, even though I never set it up this way. I have to physically click on the network status and wait a few moments for the 5GHz connection to appear, then it switches over without me having to do anything additional. Any idea why it's started doing this?

I wonder if I can switch off the 2.4GHz entirely, I never use it.

kozak79

You can have it forget the 2.4 connection and not have a password stored so it won't try to connect. I have it set on mine so it only "remembers" the 5 Ghz ssid.

Arizona Willie

I'm wondering ...
My PS3 only shows 3 - 12 Mbps but my Surface Pro while sitting 10 feet in front of the TV and thus about 13 feet from the router ( both TV and Surface in the living room, router / modem in computer room ) will show it running at 30 Mbps.

So is the culprit on the PS3 the PS3 itself or the protocol it uses to connect?
I have my Linksys E2000 router set to the 2.4ghz channel and the mode to mixed so that it can use any protocol from a - n.
I don't know how the router handles it if one device is trying to connect on n protocol and another is trying to connect on g and I don't know which is native to the PS3.

I'm wondering if a protocol change would increase the speed for the streaming on the PS3.
I was looking at some new routers that have the AC protocol but it appeared that if you have devices that don't use that you have to have an adapter for each device.

UNGOOD

I'm reticent to get a router with AC protocol since NONE of my devices use that .... with perhaps an exception for the Surface Pro. I don't know if it will connect on AC or not.

phubai

I'm wondering ...
My PS3 only shows 3 - 12 Mbps but my Surface Pro while sitting 10 feet in front of the TV and thus about 13 feet from the router ( both TV and Surface in the living room, router / modem in computer room ) will show it running at 30 Mbps.

So is the culprit on the PS3 the PS3 itself or the protocol it uses to connect?
I have my Linksys E2000 router set to the 2.4ghz channel and the mode to mixed so that it can use any protocol from a - n.
I don't know how the router handles it if one device is trying to connect on n protocol and another is trying to connect on g and I don't know which is native to the PS3.

I'm wondering if a protocol change would increase the speed for the streaming on the PS3.
I was looking at some new routers that have the AC protocol but it appeared that if you have devices that don't use that you have to have an adapter for each device.

UNGOOD

I'm reticent to get a router with AC protocol since NONE of my devices use that .... with perhaps an exception for the Surface Pro. I don't know if it will connect on AC or not.

Most consumer grade routers, when set to Mixed Mode in order to accommodate different connecting network clients, will slow down your local network. As an example, say you have 5 devices connecting to your router, all but one of which can connect on the new C protocol, or if you have an older router, the N protocol, BUT one of your devices only has B or G capability. In that case, the entire LAN will be slowed down to accommodate that one device. It's sort of an early "no man left behind" thing. Most often, you won't even notice the slowdown, but if you're streaming HD Video on your LAN...lookout!

So getting a new router, without upgrading your other devices won't solve all of your problems, even though you may see some benefit from the later technology.

CrippsCorner

You can have it forget the 2.4 connection and not have a password stored so it won't try to connect. I have it set on mine so it only "remembers" the 5 Ghz ssid.

Probably an easy question but how do you do this? Before I go searching
cool.png

OP
M

Munkee915

to forget a network open an elevated cmd prompt and type: netsh wlan delete profile name=”your-profile-name”

arizona willie - the PS3 only supports 2.4ghz a/b/g wireless. Of those I would suggest sticking with G. a new router may not necessarily solve your issues. Yes some routers sacrifice performance in dual band mode and others perform quite well. I have no issues w/ my TP-LINK WDR3600 in dual band. When I had my linksys I actually disabled 2.4 band on my router and added a 2nd $20 router as a 2.4ghz AP only. Got good performance out of this setup until I changed my setup. You may consider this route instead of buying a more expensive router with a protocol your devices dont support. Or get a 5ghz N "gaming adapter" and plug it into your PS3s LAN port. PS3 supports gigabit LAN so put that on 5ghz N and you should see a decent increase.

cr3v3tt3

I have the exact same combination (wdr3600 and SP2) and i have to say that DDWRT is somewhat faulty on that router. The SP2 would connect to 802.11n only on the 2.4ghz network and on 802.11a on the 5ghz one ( i didnt have any other 5ghz device to confirm that the problem is on the router's side ) . This problem doesn't appear on the stock firmware so i suggest you stick to that one.

CrippsCorner

to forget a network open an elevated cmd prompt and type: netsh wlan delete profile name=”your-profile-name”

This worked in so much as deleting my password etc. and so far, the Surface hasn't tried connecting to it which is good. However it's still physically sitting there with it's SSID, and would allow me to re-connect, I'd prefer it gone completely, but it'll do!