What's new

New SP 2 only connects to router at 802.11a

Munkee915

I have a TP-Link WDR3600 router. I have the 5ghz band set to broadcast N only but for some reason my SP2 only connects at 802.11a and the connection is horrid. It shows connected but I get about 10 seconds of internet then nothing works. I can tether to my Nexus 5 and shows as 802.11n and the connection is just fine and lasts for as long as I'm connected. I cannot see any way in the driver properties to force an N connection like I have seen w/ some other adapters. Is there anything I can do?

PS it doesnt even attempt to connect to my 2.4ghz G band. It just tells me it cant connect right off the bat.

daniielrp

I have a TP-Link WDR3600 router. I have the 5ghz band set to broadcast N only but for some reason my SP2 only connects at 802.11a and the connection is horrid. It shows connected but I get about 10 seconds of internet then nothing works. I can tether to my Nexus 5 and shows as 802.11n and the connection is just fine and lasts for as long as I'm connected. I cannot see any way in the driver properties to force an N connection like I have seen w/ some other adapters. Is there anything I can do?

PS it doesnt even attempt to connect to my 2.4ghz G band. It just tells me it cant connect right off the bat.

Can you try an different channels on the 5 or 2.4?

kozak79

I had this happen to my SP2 after 2 days of use. Then wifi completely died. Had to get a replacement. Start a replacement process.

GoodBytes

We have to assume compatibility problem with the router. So first, go to a coffee shop or somewhere with public wifi, and try there. If it doesn't work, then return the device and order a new one.
If you pass the 30day return period, then now start the warranty replacement. The reason why I say to return the Surface Pro 2 and not do a warranty exchange, is because the device is brand new, and you want to be sure you get a new device not a refurbished one. If you have a Microsoft store close to you, see them, they should be giving you a new unit, as they don't carry refurbished devices.

OP
M

Munkee915

Well I just got it today so I've only tested with my router. I guess I can run to Best Buy and get another router and try that out, return it if its not a router issue. It's definitely brand new as it was provided by the online school I go to and I know they only order directly from MS. I can try tomorrow w/ my network at work as well and see if theres an issue. the problem is finding another 5ghz network to test with, as most places seem to only provide 2.4 access. Worst case I guess I can warranty with MS as there's no MS store locally to return to. Does MS track through SN? The school doesnt provide a receipt with the hardware but I have been able to retrieve them in the past with apple hardware through SN.

PS just tried disabling IP v6 and bluetooth but still no joy. It would really suck if its a router issue because this router works really well for everything else I have I would hate to chuck it because of 1 stubborn device.

GoodBytes

Wireless and routers can sometime be incompatible between each other. They are efforts in both camps to like each other, but despite a well define standards, sometimes it doesn't like each other. I have experiences like this. Usually a newer revision of the wireless card (which the manufacture sends me) solve the issue, but in this case, as the Surface Pro 2 is not serviceable, and everything soldered in, a router switch is the best you can do.

I would return the device where you bought it, and buy another one. If you go with the warranty, you'll end up with a refurbished device. That means you just paid full price for a refurbished device. Not cool.

OP
M

Munkee915

Well I made progress. I pulled a usb wifi adapter off another PC and connected that for a bit and that worked. Did as many updates as I could but still didnt solve the issue. I then went into my router and changed the 5ghz radio to mixed. The surface now connects and stays online but still at 802.11a. I think it what was happening is it was connecting on the 802.11a, my router would let it on for a bit, then remember it wasnt supposed to and boot it off. Still doesnt solve the issue of not connecting on N but progress none the less. I was also able to get it on to my 2.4ghz (n) network. At this point I'll take 2.4n above a until I can figure this out.

I wonder if this may be a DD-WRT issue. I have been searching online all day and a common thread I found in a lot of issues is people mentioning DD-WRT firmware. It's sad if this is the case. I still need to find another 5ghz network to test my theory.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is possible that the DD-WRT Firmware isn't able to fully negotiate the proper handshake for Marvell AVASTAR WLAN. It is a fairly new card mostly used in Smartphones prior to being used in the Surface Tablets...

I use the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk and connect via 5GHz getting 270Mbs on my Pro 2 and 300 on my Surface 2...

Arizona Willie

I'm curious.
I have a Linsys E2000 router and I wonder how you can tell which protocol it is connecting with?
We have an old laptop running Windows 7 ( cause my owner uses it and I don't want to stress her out with Windows 8 :) ) and a Wii and a PS3 and this desktop and my Surface Pro ( original ). I have to keep the router on 2.4 ghz in order to keep everything connected. The Surface Pro is the only thing that even runs on N I believe. Not sure about the PS3 but I know the Wii won't connect on the higher protocols. Not that it matters too much to keep the Wii updated since they don't support it anymore. I only use it for a glorified weight scale every morning anyway.

But when I tried to to to the 5ghz stuff didn't work and I'm wondering how to determine which protocol things are actually connecting on.

As another issue, this Linksys router doesn't stream well to the PS3. I get lots of spooling even though speedtest.net says I am running at 30 mbps down and 10 mbps up. Streaming works pretty well with the desktop which is wired to the router via ethernet cable.

I've been thinking I might need a new router or router and modem but I don't have anything that uses the new AC protocol, as far as I know unless the PS3 would.

I'm probably going to get a new 4K TV in June. The new models are coming out soon. Samsung is due in April and Sony is due May 19 I believe it is and I'm waiting for the new ones and I will get one that is a Smart TV that can connect to the internet directly without going through the PS3.

Anyone know if they use the new AC protocol?
I'm wondering if I should get the newest routers or save some bucks and try to find an older one that doesn't have AC protocol but is still newer and better for streaming than this old E2000 router.

kozak79

When you setup your router, most will let you use custom SSIDs. Dual Band routers have 2x SSIDs. I name one xxxxx 2Ghz and xxxxx 5Ghz. This way I always know which band I'm connecting to.

Arizona Willie

Well I doublechecked this afternoon and the PS3 would not connect when I set the router to 5 ghz. Didn't bother with the rest of the things.
But the PS3 has a speed check ( which it admits is only an estimate ) and the fastest I was able to get it was 12 Mbps .... I did the test several times and most times it was down at 3 - 6 Mbps. Which is probably why I have trouble streaming.

The router is actually less than 3 ft from the PS3, it's just on the other side of the wall from the router. So distance shouldn't be a factor.
I'm wondering if how far the modem and router are apart effects anything and / or the position / height off the floor of the router.
Hmmm.

OP
M

Munkee915

ps3 only has 2.4ghz g. It wont work on 5ghz only network. I also name my bands differently so i can tell them apart. Most of my streaming devices are on 5ghz and the rest (security cam, ps3 etc) are on 2.4.

so final upate, this is a dd-wrt issue. i was able to connect to wifi at work w/o issue. Came home today and could not connect to my router again. I loaded the router back to stock firmware and now im cruising along at 5ghz N with no issue. Kinda sad, I liked dd-wrt but the stock tp link firmware is pretty good also. Hope this helps someone else out in the future.

Last edited: