What's new

New SP2, anything I need to know before getting set up?

clemgrad85

Hello....first post in here, but looking for any suggestions on "firing" up my new SP2! My biggest concern are updates. Is it best to just download any updates that are available, or should I maybe stay away from any? If any other suggestions on the set up that might make things go more smoothly, I would welcome them. Thanks....

olimjj

Hello....first post in here, but looking for any suggestions on "firing" up my new SP2! My biggest concern are updates. Is it best to just download any updates that are available, or should I maybe stay away from any? If any other suggestions on the set up that might make things go more smoothly, I would welcome them. Thanks....

Welcome to the Forum.
You might want to start with manual updates at first. Make sure you have your keyboard connected and you are sufficiently charged and docked if possible.
Then check for downloads and update. Some of the installs take a while, so be patient.

Last edited:

manonthebrain

WELCOME!
MS had pulled the bad update that had been messing with everyones surface devices. theres nothing special that youd have to do EXCEPT making sure the battery is put on a first time conidion charge. plug it in and leave it untill its fully charged.
Fully charge new lithium-ion batteries for the first THREE cycles
New Li-ion batteries will work best if fully charged, and drained, for the first THREE charging cycles after purchase. So, after each charge, use the device until the battery completely runs out of juice, says Isidor Buchmann, author of Batteries in a Portable World (Cadex Electronics).
id follow this to keep it health for as long as possible, as the battery is not replaceable
cheers!

jrapdx

I'd have to agree with idea expressed by olimjj above. I've come to regard "update" or "upgrade" as the most fearsome terms in computing. My policy with all OS is installing updates only after there's ample evidence that the upgrade is "safe".

So I'd recommend disabling automatic updates. I have notification of Windows updates set, but not auto download or install. It's easy enough to check on current status and to review the updates offered before installing. If something major comes along that you're not sure about it, you could certainly ask about it here.

The SP2 is a uniquely capable device, but it takes a while to learn to use it. Welcome to the SP2 adventure!

olimjj

If I didn't get a little lazy in my post, I should have provided the additional, descriptive, informative and poignant detail that jrapdx did in his post. But then I could not have said it any better myself.

OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

Thanks for the good tips. I finally had a chance to play around with the SP2 this evening and I like how it is working so far, but I do see a bit of a learning curve. This is replacing a work computer so trying to get the feel for it before I make the big change over. I had a chance to connect my external monitor up to it via the docking station, and looks good on the larger monitor. I will definitely make the adjustments to the auto updates. I'll look around for where to do that but wouldn't object to a hint! I'm sure I'll have more questions once I have time to properly explore the device and will check out the resources on this website for sure. Thanks.....

olimjj

Thanks for the good tips. I finally had a chance to play around with the SP2 this evening and I like how it is working so far, but I do see a bit of a learning curve. This is replacing a work computer so trying to get the feel for it before I make the big change over. I had a chance to connect my external monitor up to it via the docking station, and looks good on the larger monitor. I will definitely make the adjustments to the auto updates. I'll look around for where to do that but wouldn't object to a hint! I'm sure I'll have more questions once I have time to properly explore the device and will check out the resources on this website for sure. Thanks.....
1. Press the Windows key + X key
2. Select Control Panel from the popup menu
3. Select Windows Update
4. Select change settings
5. Under Important Updates scroll to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"
6. Make sure both check boxes on screen are checked
7. Select OK and exit

Last edited:
OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

Okay.....have the list of current updates that are available to be downloaded on my new SP2. Most look like the normal Windows updates for virus and security settings, so I don't see any reason not to process those. However, I see a System Firmware Update dated 1/18/14, and a Type Cover Trackpad Settings driver update. Are those considered "stable"? Any known problems?

jrapdx

Okay.....have the list of current updates that are available to be downloaded on my new SP2. Most look like the normal Windows updates for virus and security settings, so I don't see any reason not to process those. However, I see a System Firmware Update dated 1/18/14, and a Type Cover Trackpad Settings driver update. Are those considered "stable"? Any known problems?

AFAICT with just a few exceptions among forum posters, the Jan 2014 FW update has not been troublesome to owners of SP2's unaffected by the Dec10FW problems, and may have corrected a few issues for machines damaged by the Dec10FW.

That is, the predominant opinion seems to be the updates you mention are "stable", and "safe" to install. My own experience supports the "safety" of these updates. As always, mileage varies, but in this case, risks appear to be low.

olimjj

I concur with the above post. In addition I would advise to periodically(especially before a Super Patch Tuesday) to perform a System File Integrity check as follows:

1. Press Windows key + x key
2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin)
3. At the command prompt type sfc /scannow
4. Press enter key
5. When the scan is finished type exit and press the enter key

Be patient it can take a whiloe

jrapdx

I concur with the above post. In addition I would advise to periodically(especially before a Super Patch Tuesday) to perform a System File Integrity check as follows:

1. Press Windows key + x key
2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin)
3. At the command prompt type sfc /scannow
4. Press enter key
5. When the scan is finished type exit and press the enter key

Be patient it can take a whiloe

Ran the sfc /scannow utility and it did take quite a while to complete the system scan, 10 minutes almost exactly. While running CPU load was ~25%, and core temp rose to ~65/C. Other than things getting a little warm, all was good. The program found no "integrity violations", more than can be said for many things....