What's new

New SP3, I7, 512, to be Desktop Replacement

bluegrass

I wonder where my TRS 80 Model 100, my desktop TRS 80 & my Radio Shack COCO are today. I can't hardly remember what they looked like except the desktop one with the computer inside the keyboard. I remember the Sinclair. It seems like that was actually the lowest end of the new micro computers at the time.

malberttoo

@Chris Grew, @Russ,

Just so you know, you don't actually have to reboot the SP3 to deal with the scaling issue, you only have to sign out and sign back in.

Although it really makes little difference on the SP3, since it does reboot so quickly. But just FYI.

silkrooster

As mentioned in another thread, if you want to use it as a true desktop replacement, you will need a usb hub that supplies power for DVD drives and external hard drives as the usb connector on the surface doesn't provide enough power.
That said, I don't have the docking station to verify its power output.

kristalsoldier

This idea of using the SP3 as a desktop replacement complete with the dock, USB hubs etc. is very intriguing. I think sooner or later I will end up doing the same thing. But for that I think it will be necessary for me to get the i7/ 512 version. Currently I have the i5/128 version which is perfect for my current needs. As it is, I don't use my desktop machine much anymore.

But more than anything else, I will have to increasingly rely of OneDrive for hosting my files for easy access wherever I am. And, this, in turn, will require me to be confident about connectivity wherever I am which is something that I am not still very sanguine about when I travel outside Europe/ and some parts of North America. The other option would be to carry a portable HDD with my files/ documents etc., which is a possibility. The portable drive must be a WIFI enabled one though and it preferably should have its own battery-based power source.

OP
Russ

Russ

you will need a usb hub that supplies power for DVD drives and external hard drives as the usb connector on the surface doesn't provide enough power.

Silk --

I'm running a USB3 hub off the USB3 port on the docking station, and it is adequate for both DVD drive and USB hard drives. I have run the DVD drive off the USB port on my SP1. Drive is USB2, for whatever that's worth.
Regards,
Russ

Chris Grew

Ah the Sinclair Spectrum, I remember it well! It was my first computer and how proud was I to make a dot appear randomly on the screen until it filled the page with white! Sinclair was a man who did not suffer fools gladly. I remember one paragraph at the front of the manual said in more words than one, if you don't understand this, you shouldn't own a spectrum!

I reached the grand age of 60 on Friday 19th Dec, so I am guessing we have a few similar aged individuals on here?

As to storing data, I have been using the Business version of Evernote for a couple of years and prior to that OneNote. I have about 20,000 Notes and keep all my customer quotations, pdf's, links to web sites, manuals, receipts etc, etc. Along with a diary system I created were I have notes about conversations with customers and suppliers going back to 2007. All available on any of my computers from any location and of course on my phone.

Best regards

Chris

Kif

I replaced my 4 year old Dell desktop with a SP3 and a docking station. Overall it's been a great experience. I lost some disk space but overall I get much better performance out of the SP3. The docking station has worked faultlessly and it's convenient to be able to take my desktop with me.

As far as first computers I started with an Atari 400 computer with cassette recorder for storage. It had a membrane keyboard and I used to buy magazines with programs in them. I would spent several days pecking in code and several more days looking for typos. Those were the days. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as first computers I started with an Atari 400 computer with cassette recorder for storage. It had a membrane keyboard and I used to buy magazines with programs in them. I would spent several days pecking in code and several more days looking for typos. Those were the days. :)
Indeed... I started with a Vic 20 then got the C64. My boss had the Atari 400 and 800. We used to compete writing the most compact code to do particular functions. :)

Kif

Indeed... I started with a Vic 20 then got the C64. My boss had the Atari 400 and 800. We used to compete writing the most compact code to do particular functions. :)

C64 always had better support. For some weird reason I'm always stuck with the minority. When everyone has a NES I had a Sega Master system.

malberttoo

WOW... I was about 11 or 12 when I got my C64. Saved up for a while and could finally afford a floppy drive. Finally got a 1200 baud modem and that was the bee's knees.

@Kif, wow that comment about buying magazines for the software in them really brought back some memories!