What's new

New sp3: recommend antivirus?

The pre-installed Windows Defender is actually pretty good, I use that and scan with Malwarebytes and Spybot once a week (both programs are free and you can get them on CNET downloads).

Liam2349

Everyone will tell you different. If you get anything mildly serious on your PC, Defender won't cut it.

My personal favourite is AVG Internet Security.

hh83917

I use Nod32 anti-virus only, not the suit program. And for IE and testing unsure or trial programs, I use sandboxie to sandbox it.

Few weeks ago, before I got NOD32, I was browsing some random website with IE running in sandboxie, a page popped up with an unclosable window telling me to for me to pay and enter the verification code to unlock the window. I use sandboxie to terminate the sandboxed IE and cleared the sandbox contents, then reopen IE and all is fresh and new. Highly recommended!

Last edited:

annabanana

I had forgotten about sandboxie. I used it a few years ago then got VMware. Are there any issues with sandboxie on Win 8.1? Sorry, slightly OT, but had to ask. :D

HolF

For some time I used Microsoft Security Essentials on Win7 and the Defender on Win8/8.1. So on the SFP3 it will also be only Defender. I never had a virus problem. But ok, I´m not using warez or surfing on suspicious websites.

raqball

I was 100% happy with Windows Defender but needed something better for my sons Windows 7 desktop.

He is a clicking machine and has zero computer safety awareness. A recent malware scan on his PC listed somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 infections.. YIKES!

I decided to just format his PC and start fresh. I tired several anti virus programs for a few days each and ultimately decided on purchasing Webroot. Since it came with a license for 3 PC's I also tossed it on my SP3.

I think Windows Defender is fine if you don't go crazy on the PC. If you have suspect browsing habits, then something more powerful might be a good idea..